Tendon Transfer?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
denaegirl

Tendon Transfer?

Post by denaegirl »

Hey all, So great to hear all these wonderful success stories. I hope I get to post one of those soon. My son Malik is 1yr and 2 months old. Next week we are going to meet our secondary surgeon. Malik had a very successful Nerve transfer in November when he was 5 Months old. Now we are looking at a Tendon transfer from the front of his shoulder to the back, for external rotation. Has anyone had experience with this surgery? Pro's Con's of having it done?
We are going to Mayo in Rochester on the 10th so WISH US LUCK!

Denae
Mom to Malik 1yr old LOBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Tendon Transfer?

Post by Carolyn J »

Keep us posted, Danae. I'm sure you will have another Success Story for us!

I'll be thinking of you and Malik on the 10th.
Hugs,
"Gramma"Carolyn J
LOBPI
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
my2girls

Re: Tendon Transfer?

Post by my2girls »

My daughter had a tendon transfer done when she was 25 months old. I am not sure if it is exactly the same as what Malik will have, but they did work with the latisimus doris (sorry if I didn't spell it correctly). She has had an unbelievable recovery. Even Dr. Kozin said she had much better results that he expected.
After surgery, she went from 90 degrees flexion to 170. She gained external rotation, and did not lose internal. Only problems now are a winging scap, some fine motor issues (she has trouble isolating her index finger) and her arm is in that "fixed" position whenever she runs. We still do OT, and I am afraid to give it up because I don't want her regress. Every child is different, but I am so glad we decided to do it. Good luck