PA Picnic - Hawaiian Luau, Clinic & Theratogs

You are welcome to post information here about planned BPI picnics, gatherings and symposia.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

PA Picnic - Hawaiian Luau, Clinic & Theratogs

Post by F-Litz »

September 22
~ Evening Parent Workshop about Theratogs

September 23
~ All day Hawaiian Luau, feast, dancing, music, games, great playground, softball and more...
~ BPI Clinic with Dr. Nath & therapist panel
~ Theratog Clinic

September 24
~ All day Theratog clinic

September 25
~ Therapist Course on how Theratogs can be used to assist the child with bpi

Pre-registration and payment for all events will be available on http://www.brachialplexuspalsyfoundation.org
natsmom

Re: PA Picnic - Hawaiian Luau, Clinic & Theratogs

Post by natsmom »

Francine - will discounts be offered on the theratogs (either full body or upper extremity kit)? If so, any idea how much? Theratogs have really gone up in price over the past few years; its a great product.

Thanks in advance
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

It would be best to contact them directly - the phone number is on their site (www.theratogs.com) - speak to Janet Kask. She will be the bpi "tog" contact.

I do not know if they will be discounting the bpi kit for the event although I do know that they are considering it.

The "togs" are an incredible product. Maia is having great success with it and finds it to be very comfortable in comparison with other braces and splints she's had in the past. This is the first time she's hasn't begged me to take something off. She actually goes "awwwww" when I have to take it off.
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

This is what the site said. "The actual TheraTog garment will be discounted if you or your child receives one at this event." Didn't speicify how much the discount is. But maybe they could give you more details if you contact the theratogs.
Sue
F-Litz

Post by F-Litz »

Sue - I changed the wording to reflect that the discount is not a definite at this point but we are hopeful that there will be one.
natsmom

Post by natsmom »

Thanks for the info. Hopefully they will go ahead with a discount. We've just about outgrown our preschool size. Natalie has used them for a few years now and we've found them to be very beneficial. She tends to use her entire trunk to help achieve shoulder flexion; the togs have helped to strap her tummy down and encourage independent use of her right arm to help achieve that movement.
Katiesmom0514

Post by Katiesmom0514 »

Francine:
I've been checking the checking the site regularly and there is no cost showing yet. Can you give me a rough idea so I can start planning accordingly? Also, we have never seen Dr. Nath but would be interested in doing so, is there anything special I have to do to get the appointment with him for Katie? Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheri, Mom to Katie, 4, LOBPI (in PA)
F-Litz

Post by F-Litz »

Hi Cheri,

The Theratogs full kit used for children in general costs somewhere around $500. You can do a google on Theratogs and find that they are sold in therapy catalogs.

An upper extremity kit costs less than a full kit. But there is a new kit that they have just put together that has the specific pieces for individuals with BPI. I do not know how much that will be but I surmise (remember it's just a surmise) that it may be somewhere in the $350 & $500 range.

If you come to the PA event for your child to get togged, you will also have to pay for the therapist to do the togging (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours) - just as you would if you were at home. The big difference and reason why this event would be a good place to get togged is because you will have access to a therapist who has a high level of experience togging kids with bpi and if you get your child togged on Saturday, then Dr. Nath will be able to review the placements and see if the results are good.
Katiesmom0514

Post by Katiesmom0514 »

Thanks Francine!
I appreciate all the info on the Theratogs, but I was really wondering about the cost of the event. Also, we've never seen Dr. Nath before, so I was wondering if we could see him at the picnic for the first time? If so, what kinds of info will he want? Does the cost of the event include the cost of seeing Dr. Nath? Also, would Katie's insurance possibly pay for the Theratog and seeing the Therapist? Just curious, I'm not really familiar with these things because we've never seen any other doctors or therapists?

Cheri, Mom to Katie, 4, LOBPI
F-Litz

Post by F-Litz »

Hi Cheri,

The main goal of the event is to gather the community for a fun day. Dr. Nath is a guest of the Foundation for that day. He is giving his time to us to meet with any families who wish to meet with him. Not all families meet with him. There is no charge to meeting Dr. Nath.
To learn more about clinic and how the clinic itself works you can read about it here http://www.drnathclinics.com and then go to Clinic FAQ.

The Foundation is sponsoring the travel & hotel costs of the TheraTog folks. We thought it would be a great opportunity for the kids to have a chance at an "expert" togging session...and to have their therapists trained by the "inventor" herself. It's a win win and I hope that enough people sign up for this. There are only 8 slots available for togging sessions.

About your insurance covering the Theratogs. You will be purchasing the TheraTogs Kit directly from Gaitways and they will give you an invoice/recept for whatever you'll pay for the kit and also for the therapists's time.
[It will work just as if you are doing it at home - at home you'd have to pay for the garment and for your therapist's time.] You'll then be able to send in this paperwork to your insurance company for reimbursement. I suggest you call your insurance comapny - speak to your case manager - and find out what you need to do to get this reimbursed... Do they see it as durable medical equipment?...will you need a letter of necessity?

This will be an incredible experience all around. Please spread the word to your therapist and others.

Hope this helps,
francine