Tbaby's electrifying experience

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
TINA-T

Tbaby's electrifying experience

Post by TINA-T »

Just thought I would post this and see what you all have to say.

Back on 1-3 I was stirring a pot of homemeade chicken soup (yes she does soup as well as bread). I had my wire whisk in my right hand and as I reached to turn the burner from boil to simmer I got electrocuted. The shock was so bad I clenched my teeth so hard I cracked a back molar. Luckily it flung me backwards also which enabled me to let go of the whisk. (dam whisk).

I had an immediate bad bad pain in my right arm and had a sense of dizzyness like never before (or had the dizzyness always been part of me haha). The next morning I woke up and the left side of my face was swollen and I had a horrible headache. As the day went on the headache turned into a migraine like I have never had. Since I am not one to run to the doctor I started self medicating.......you know wine, darvocet,wine, motrin, more wine :) anyway, by monday I rushed into my doc's office and said that if he didn't get rid of the head and arm pain I would die right there on his floor.

He gave me a wonderful med for the head but said since he wasn't familiar with b.p. injuries and the head seemed neurological I should go there.

So off I went today with not much hope. As we all know, just because a doc is suppose to know about US, doesn't always mean he will!! To my surprise this neuro was not only a great doc BUT knew and had seen adult with BPI's :) :)

He has scheduled a cat scan on monday and on the 30th I go in for a brainstem response test and an ultrasound on my carotid artery. He wants to make sure I didn't suffer a mini stroke or cause a tiny blood clot that might be restricting blood flow to my brain. As if it would be the 1st time me weeeeee brain hadn't had enough oxygen hahaha

The best part of this and yes there is a good part is that he congratulated me on achieving so much with my life under the circumstances I had been dealt (as she tries to look humble) :)
He said he had never met a bilaterally injured person and that I was not only knowledgeable about my condition but had managed to get on very well in life (thank you thnk you) hahaha

he said he might have me come in and meet some of the other peeps he treats because some of them are having a pretty hard time getting over themselves and their injuries (let me at em doc)

I of course was toooooooo dizzy to mention this site or any of you, but trust me on the 30th I am taking you all in there with me :) :)

I was just wondering if any of you had had anything similar happen?? Also wanted to ask if you could say a prayer, send a vibe, blow a kiss or just think good thoughts that everything will turn out alright.

I will come back with an update when the results are in.........probly just show I am one oar short.

I also wanted to say without all of you and this site I would never have the information that I do ...........so THANK YOU ONE AND ALL..............

Joy in FL

Re: Tbaby's electrifying experience

Post by Joy in FL »

Oh my Tina! I have always felt you had an electrifying personality there really was no need to take it up a notch! LOL

It does sound like good came out of your ordeal. It is always a wonderful thing to find a doctor that you not only like BUT knows how to treat you.

While I have never been zapped while cooking, I do have a terrible time with lightening. Living in Florida, the lightening capital of the world, we have a great deal of lightening that is close. I can actually feel it go through my arm when it stikes close. If it is a bad storm I will have swelling and terrible pain. The migraines also came along with the BPI. Lucky me!

Don't worry I will keep you in my prayers, kisses and good thoughts. I think I might leave out the vibe however, I think you had enough "vibe" going your way! LOL

Joy
Joy in FL is now living in Georgia!
Left TBI on October 31, 1991
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Well, Tina I think this just about tops all the messes you have gotten into... LOL

I am sooooooo happy about the doctor... Remember two short years ago when we found this web site and knew nothing but how to live with the bpi... It is so nice to see you went to the doctor ARMED (lol) with all the information...

I hope he can find out what is going on.... I always send you bpi hugs and kisses but here is a big
BPI hug from me (((((((hug, prayers, kisses>>>>>>>>>>

So tell me don't they have "take-out" in Michigan... cooking... ok so I still do most of the time... well sometimes..... no when I feel like it.... LOL...LOL...

Thanks for posting... I don't get headaches I just give them.... LOL... but I see lots of bpi's get headaches... wonder why??????

As for having other peeps with bpi... never had a doctor who did.... Now my primary care doctors has a new paitent but she does not like to talk about it... that what the dr. said... too bad... we can yack about it a lot when we start..... LOL...

Take care...
So no Joke today just cuz you had to go to the doctor... Excuses, Excuses, Excuses......

Kath

jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

wow tbaby, any excuse for a wine binge eh? the nearest i've had was catching the claw hand on an electric fence....it woulda thrown me backwards as well but my curly fingers were stuck in the fence wire owwww...my arm hurt for about a week afterwards, a strange pain right inside....maybe that jolt gets in the nerves and wakes up all kindsa crap? like when hazey got infection that went in the nerves?? i had no head probs tho (not that i'd notice hahahaaaa) but then i didn't bite down with my teeth....maybe that caused yr headache? keep us posted on the CAT scan thing....and as for u dealing with the injury well...tbaby you are BILATERAL i can't even begin to get my head round that and you have THE BEST attitude, i take my hat off to you, you're an inspiration to us all. just buy bluddy tins of soup like the rest of us in future...if you can open em that is :0)
TINA-T

Post by TINA-T »

Yep Kath....we have take out/away here in the mitten state!! What do you think we've been eating the past 2 weeks hahahahahaha

As far as an electrifying personality..........Joy you have no idea!!! Just last year Jenny was making cartoons about me and my house being the lightning hit capitol of the world???? Maybe I'm on an old electrical appliance burial ground????? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHa

Thank you Jenny for your kind words...........inspiration???? don't know about that one....another reason to drink..........yep :)

Again........you ALL are my inspiration!!!!! Together we are ONE!!!!.......OK, I can hear hazel right now spewing on about my soppiness hahaha guess that WAS a lil over the top......i retract that last statemetn and blame it on white wine !!!!
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

Gee- T- I've heard that you become psychic after a shock like that!! Do you see money or naked men with nice butts in my future?????? Seriously, I hope everything goes well for you. You'll be in my prayers. Pat
hazell

Post by hazell »

take jennys advice & buy soup from a tin & use a microwave hopefully you cant do as much damage!!! & no mailing this soup out to us all..............no more anthrax scares now tbaby soup scares!

on a serious note you must be pretty worried & shook up by this good luck with the tests, no more making soup & hope the pain sorts out soon.

carry on the self medication sure it must help a little or is that help forget.

bye crazy

ps wanna swop barney for your cooker lol.
Dave m

Post by Dave m »

WOW T-baby you had a scare there!!
You're great at coping but this ones a downer, hope you get the all clear from the docs reeeeaaaal soon!!

Get hubby in the kitchen from now on and be careful lass! :O)
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Tina, that is a hell of a way to get a perm in your hair. I can't say that I experienced anything like that.Hope you are feeling better.I am finally able to get on the board.
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Missed you Judy....

Kath