Staying Positive

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
MadisonB
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: During my right shoulder surgery about three months ago three nerves in my arm were stretched causing my Brachial Plexus Palsy. The outer part of my upper arm is numb to touch, as well as the inside of my forearm. This continues up to the palm of my hand to my thumb and pointer finger. I have movement in my hand but that is about it. I am unable to pick up my arm at all. I had the crushing and burning hand for about two months, but now it had dulled out. I am nineteen years old and played volleyball for a college. I went back for my second semester of college but had to medically withdraw. We are now waiting to see if the nerve wakes up, if there are no differences at the end of the month we are going to visit the Mayo Clinic to see what surgical options I might have.

Staying Positive

Post by MadisonB »

Hey everybody. I am new to this forum today, and I am very thankful to have found this. With this rare injury I have felt very alone, but seeing everyone else on here and how they are managing is very inspirational. And that is exactly what I need. Inspiration. My injury was not as traumatic as some of the stories on here, but life changing all the same. I am nineteen years old and I was a college volleyball. This was my freshman year. I injured myself midseason this year and needed a surgery to tighten up ligaments in my shoulder and to fix a rotator cuff(this was my second shoulder surgery and it was done by a different surgeon). I had my surgery in November, and they think that three of my nerves were stretched while I was under. I bet y'all can guess the rest of the story. I have not moved my arm since surgery. I have some hand movement. I also had incredible pain in my hand, but that has dulled out a bit. I had to medically withdraw from school, leaving my friends and academics, both of which I am very passionate about. I used to be a social butterfly, but now I stay at home and read mostly. I am very self conscious of my arm. As you all know it is very difficult to explain this kind of injury briefly. Anyways, how do you guys stay positive?
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: Staying Positive

Post by jmar »

hey madison, if someone asks me what is wrong with my hand or arm, i just simply say "I have severe nerve damage in my arm and hand. that usually takes care of it. if they question me more, i can explain that i had surgery on my shoulder and the surgeon stretched the bundle of nerves that goes to my arm and hand. people usually don't ask beyond that. i can understand being self-conscious. the WORST thing you can do for yourself is to retreat and withdraw from your social circle. i know how much pain you are in, but get out of the house as much as you can. being with your friends will help a lot. i also had a BP stretch during surgery. it will get better. i no longer take pain meds. and always remember your injury is just as traumatic to you as anyone elses injury is to them. i hope the best for you and i will help you in any way i can.

oh if you can get in the chat room, there is usually someone there on wednesday evenings after 7 p.m.
Humboldtmtnbkr
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Road cycling accident 8/31/08 stretched c5/c6. 2 1/2 years post accident now and I have regained all function and alot of strength back. I am a very lucky person.

Post by Humboldtmtnbkr »

Hey Madison, very sorry to hear about your injury. Have you had an EMG? I am wondering how you know it is a stretch. If you haven't had one, you should try to schedule one asap. They do usually wait a bit after an injury for your nerves to settle before administering an EMG, but that is usually around a month or so, I believe. That is great you are going to be evaluated at the Mayo. I went about the 5 month mark post injury. Shortly after my trip to the Mayo I started to slowly regain function (c5-c6). Mine too was a stretch from a bicycle accident. Hang tough, and stay on top of it. There are some passive exercises you can do to keep things moving as well as supplements to take for nervre regeneration. If you would like, let me know, I can dig up some old info from my records for you. You may not be able to control your arm right now, but you can do everything possible to help with recovery. Stay positive.

JJ
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

HELLO MADISON SORRY YOU'RE DEALING WITH THIS AT SUCH A SPECIAL TIME IN YOUR LIFE,I'M 4 MONTHS POST INJURY,DUE TO A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT AND IT HAS BEEN VERY DIFFICULT TO SAY THE LEAST BUT FROM WHAT I HAVE LEARNED SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE ONE OF THE MORE SUBTLE BPIs,STRETCHED NERVES HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF HEALING ON THEIR OWN,IT TAKES TIME.I TOO WAS PRETTY SOCIALLY ACTIVE BEFORE MY ACCIDENT IT'S NOT EASY GOING FROM DOING EVERYTHING TO NOT MUCH AT ALL BUT FROM WHAT I HEAR,MAINTAINING SOCIAL ACTIVITIES IS VERY IMPORTANT AND CAN HELP EASE YOUR MIND A BIT ABOUT YOUR INJURY.IT'S EASY TO FALL INTO DEPRESSION WITHOUT EVEN REALIZING IT ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE ALONE,I HAVEN'T REALLY BEEN PRACTICING THIS BUT I KNOW AT SOME POINT I'M GOING TO HAVE TO ACCEPT MY CONDITION AND GET BACK TO THE BUSINESS OF LIVING AND THE FEW TIMES I HAVE GONE OUT AND BEEN SOCIAL IT HAS BEEN SOMEWHAT LIBERATING.IF NOTHING ELSE IT REMINDS ME THAT LIFE DOESN'T HAVE STOP WITH THIS INJURY AND THERE CAN BE MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD TO.I KNOW HOW UNCOMFORTABLE AND SELFCONCIOUS HAVING THIS INJURY CAN MAKE YOU ABOUT YOUR APPEARANCE,I WAS AN ACTIVE WEIGHT LIFTER AND TO SEE HOW ATROPHIED MY ONCE MUSCULAR ARM HAS BECOME CAN BE VERY DISCOURAGING BUT WHATS IMPORTANT IS WHATS ON THE INSIDE.SO KEEP YOUR HEAD UP,DON'T BE AFRAID TO GET UP AND GET OUT,TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME AND BE PATIENT.I WISH YOU A SPEEDY AND COMPLETE RECOVERY AND BLESSING FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
MadisonB
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: During my right shoulder surgery about three months ago three nerves in my arm were stretched causing my Brachial Plexus Palsy. The outer part of my upper arm is numb to touch, as well as the inside of my forearm. This continues up to the palm of my hand to my thumb and pointer finger. I have movement in my hand but that is about it. I am unable to pick up my arm at all. I had the crushing and burning hand for about two months, but now it had dulled out. I am nineteen years old and played volleyball for a college. I went back for my second semester of college but had to medically withdraw. We are now waiting to see if the nerve wakes up, if there are no differences at the end of the month we are going to visit the Mayo Clinic to see what surgical options I might have.

Post by MadisonB »

I really appreciate all of the helpful tips. I did get an EMG study about a month ago. I wish I remember all the technical "c" things haha, but I was told it was severe damage. This doctor said that if my arm were to wake up on its own it would take 1-2 years. I startled him with my tears after he said that because I was being told by the doctor who had done the surgery that it would be a few weeks, three weeks tops. But of course he would keep me optimistic, he is the doctor that messed up my surgery. I haven't had any progress yet. So I am hoping Mayo will have more answers for me!
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hold on here ,I played volley ball with my erbs from birth, Only grief I got was serving one handed. Really get out of that house and there will all ways be jerks out there . When I was little they called me stud arm( So What) . If you you want to try something ask for help here. There is apsolotly more you can do one hand thats a Fact and help here, I am 61 with the Erbs .I am on the private board to.

Best Wishes,
Tom
cristinam

Post by cristinam »

You are in great hands going to Mayo.

But You can do so much more than you think you can, but it does take some time to adjust to it and re-learn. It is definitely life-changing in so many ways that that unless you experience it yourself you will never understand. You and I both are in what is said to be "the prime of our lives" and I do my best to live up to it. Though there is no doubt that it can be hard to not fully be able to do EVERYTHING you want to do and when you want to do it... especially knowing and being accustomed what it is like to be able to. Keep your head up, and get out there and live life as much as you can!! If I can help you with anything, you can post it on here or send me a private message.

Best of luck! &&Keep us posted on progress and Mayo.:)
Football BPI Mom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son had a football injury Nov. 20, 2010.

Post by Football BPI Mom »

My son was injured in the last game of his football season and will not be able to join the Marines as planned this summer. He goes to Mayo on Feb. 22nd for an evaluation. Do you already have a Mayo appointment. If you do not, you really need to get the process started now. If you recover before the appointment, you can always cancel. The other thing that has been impressed to us is how critical physical therapy is.

Having him in school in Connecticut and us living in Illinois was difficult for me but probably the best thing for him. He has the support of his friends and the distractions of school. His University has worked with him to help with his challenges since he can not lift his right arm. He was allowed to take his finals on computer since he is unable to write and this semester they offered him a note taker. I don't think he has found much in day to day life that he has not figured out how to do on his own, it is really amazing.

He probably does not have to explain his injury a lot because it was their biggest game of the year, he was on the field for several minutes before leaving in an ambulance, and it was televised. When he has been asked he goes through the whole thing-how he wasinjured it, what his progress has been, when he goes to Mayo, etc. To me, talking about it could be good therapy.

As far as staying positive I do believe staying busy helps. The other comment he has made "I can still walk".
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Staying positive, First I will tell you that its harder because you had the use of 2 arms in life. I never did, You have far to many chooses and you will go far in recover as new treatments happen IN Time. I ended up being rewired to think one arm growing up and I found great joy in things I could do one arm. In time people will know you and what happen and 20 questions do stop in time. I have friends for 50 yrs. that never bring it up about my arm. I have been married for 30 years and my wife never brings it up ether. In Time you will adjust to your limitation or you will realize you will get more treatment or you will adjust to limitation you might still be left with. The biggest limitation is not trying and self pity and being mad,been there done it to,hope this help?? ;)

Best Wishes,
Tom
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

Madison,

1st, as everyone else has stated, I am sorry to hear about the accident in surgery.

2nd - it is a tough ordeal, BUT it does get better. You learn how to manage pain and do things in time. Most folks around me now don't even know that I have had an injury. I use my "bad arm" a little now since surgery and I have learned to fake it pretty well.

3rdly - if yours is a stretch and not an avulsion, DON'T GIVE UP HOPE! You can recover from this...and wouldn't that be awesome!?! I went to the Mayo Clinic and had many of my questions answered. I am in good hands with Dr. Li from Wake Forest University, but I recommend the Mayo 100% - their team is awesome.

Good luck and don't hesitate to write via email if you have any questions. I am 2 1/2 years post accident now.