Any Way ZTo Build Muscle?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Greeny

Any Way ZTo Build Muscle?

Post by Greeny »

I am a TBPI from back on Feb 07 and have no tricep muscle, have bicep, arm from elbow to the fingertips is atrophied. Hand is locked with fingers starting to claw and thumb has no movement. Is there any way to try to build arm and hand muscles when the hand cannot be flexed? I seriously want to believe if I can get the muscles to regenerate, I might be able to allow the nerves to also continue to regenerate all the rest of the way to my fingertips.
EJ

Re: Any Way ZTo Build Muscle?

Post by EJ »

Only thing I can think of is a neurostimulator--I lost everything except triceps and wound up just having an amputation after a few years. You never know what will come back tho given enough time.
Ms. Stang

Post by Ms. Stang »

I find myself in the same situation to some degree. I have tricep muscle and my bicep is atrophied. I have found that putting a wrist weight on and if I have to, I use my other hand to bend my arm in a bicep curl. Not sure if it does any good, but I have to try. I do however wonder, if the nerve will not make the muscle contract,than how could it possibly be building it up? I think if nothing else maybe I am just keeping them flexible.

Sorry I was not more helpful.
Mardelle

Post by Mardelle »

Hi All...
I continue to work on keeping the flexers and tendons stretched and force my hand to stay flexed. Flex the wrist too...
In terms of the little bicept you have. I joined the local YMCA they had a program for stroke patients. I used the big ball to sit on...had a huge rubber tie tied to a balance bar along the wall and attached to my forearm. While sitting on the ball..I slowly brought my arm into my stomach. The simple resistance eventually grew into mahor muscles behind the elbow returning, in the back and the forarm muscles. My wrist is now showing signs of life after 22 years!!! Hand is next. My bicept is my root feed, due to a nerve graph I had in 1988. I can feel the hand nerves working long before there is evidence of movement. Keep doing everything you can...carry a loaf of bread in a bag with the handle on your forearm...anything to keep your muscles alive...
Even if the Doctors say there are only fibers of muscle left...they can still be regenerated and work...I am living proof of this truth.