BPI Sporting Club

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: BPI Sporting Club

Post by jennyb »

Nancy, you must try and get down here some time, this country had only birds until people arrived, no mammals at all. Some of the strangest and rarest birds in the world here, last week my car got chomped by keas, mountain parrots that are allegedly more intelligent than any other animal including chimps and dolphins-they apparently like the rubber bits on the wipers and seals but I think they just eat cars for fun-they fly off and then sit there cackling while you try and put the car back together :0)
PamelaW

Post by PamelaW »

My son hunts, plays pool with one arm and in fact beats most 2 armed players, he swims, but running is a problem. Not only is the arm flail,which makes running difficult but in his first surgery 19" of nerve was removed from his left leg to graft into his arm so there is some damage there also.

Did you know that the first person to navigate the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon only had one arm. He lost it in the civil war so apparently anyone who wants to climb can.
jep98056

Post by jep98056 »

I've been able to participate in most sports with my ROBPI. I'm focused primarily on hiking, fly fishing, and downhill skiing now but in my youth I played basketball, football, baseball, and volley ball. I learned to swim as part of my physical therapy. I couldn't tackle very well so I played a lot of tag football. Dribbling to my right was to my opponents benefit!! I loved playing baseball but didn't have the bat speed to catch up to a fast ball and the dexterity with the BPI glove hand to field very well so I started playing slow pitch. I still couldn't hit the ball very hard but learned to place it effectively. I placed competitive slow pitch for almost 30 years until my 'good' arm took longer and longer to warm up. Crtainly, my OBPI affects my athletic performance but I enjoy competition and being with friends.

John P.
gabriele

Post by gabriele »

I want to thank every single person who posted into this topic until now: it gave me a lot of energy, and it also lovely hits the people who look at me as an alien when I ask for trying new things!
gabriele

Post by gabriele »

To Marymom: I live in Italy, in Rome.
To Tessie: I answered you, but I forgot to tell you that, yes, we had some problem with earthquakes. This time it was really a moving thing since among a "little" number od deads (29) there were a lot of kids (a school broke down in a little village in the south of Italy).
Where do you live? In Australia? 60 degrees???? Fahrenheit I hope!!! =)
Tessie258

Post by Tessie258 »

Sorry I left out a comma it should have said:

Even in winter it only gets about 30-40 degrees for the absolute low, usually it's (in the)60's! (F)

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

Gabriele

I use to play basketball - I walk about four hours a week. I was not great at sports but liked to do cartwheels and gymnastics even though I can't weight bear on the righ obpi side.
I have pretty good balance and loved to run as a child... While its not a sport it is a hobby I use a potter's wheel even though everyone told me I could never but I found a way and now have one in the house... I am not as active since the "good" side is not so good anymore...
Sorry about the losses in SanGuilano is that right? It was so sad.

I loved Rome... Your English is so much better then my Italian.

I am sure if you really want to try something you will find a way to do it... Don't let others discourage you... It is so much better to try and fail then to live your life without trying new things...
Kath