Frankies Driving

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Mare

Frankies Driving

Post by Mare »

Yes its true I'm that old I have to admit it now that Frankie just started driving and I feel bad about having my doubts and being so nervous. He is actually very good of course he went through a driving school. In NJ parents aren't allowed to teach their kids how to drive what a relief to both Frankie and I. Now the fun starts he can't drive without a parent for a year so I finally get to say take me here drive me there just like he has done for yrs. I must say getting older has its advantages.
Mare
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Frankies Driving

Post by hope16_05 »

lol Mare...We only need 6 month with a parent here then we can get our lisence...Have fun ordering him around ;) I am sure he will enjoy it at least in the begining.
Hugs,
Amy 22 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

It's great hearing from you Mare and Amy too. I miss you both!

Hooooray for Frankie and you too Mare. Now is the time to get even, huh Mom!...LOL ;)

((((HUGS))))
Carolyn J
ps...Is Frankie on Facebook?? I AM & it's great way to kep in touch.
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
dtrusk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son, Tyler (15) has ROBPI. The nerves were stretched that affected C5,C6,& C7. He has full use of all fingers, but limited ROM. In 2009, he underwent Triangle Tilt surgery and repair for shoulder dislocation.

Post by dtrusk »

Mare....this is brings up many interesting questions. I don't remember which side Frankie's injury is on. If it's on his right side, does it affect his ability to drive? Does he drive an automatic or stick shift? When he takes his driver's test, do they note on his license that he has BPI? Will he need any special accessories on his car/truck? Tyler is less than a year away from getting his "learner's permit" in MO and he has a ROBPI which will affect how he shifts and even turns the key on. It's still too soon since his TT surgery to tell if he will be able to do some of these things or if he'll need special accessories on his vehicle. I'm interested in hearing how other adults & teenagers with a right arm injuries get along driving.

Donna
swimhappy

Post by swimhappy »

Donna -

Hi! I'm a RTBPI and just got my license a couple years ago. (I'm 18, almost 19) I only drive automatics, and I use a steering nob to help with turning, but other than that, I didn't require any adaptations. If need be, I can drive without the steering nob (I've driven my friends' cars), but it definitely makes turning, especially in parking, easier. There's nothing on my license about my BPI, but my state (Kansas) is aware of it. Turning on the car isn't a big deal, you just have to reach around. Initially I did have problems with the windshield wipers, but I've learned how to both use my knees to hold the steering wheel and to get my hand across the steering wheel in order to turn them on.

My parents and I were worried a few years ago, too, but it turned out that I actually needed very little. A lot of it is just getting comfortable with your car and figuring out where things are.

I would recommend radio/music controls on the steering wheel if possible, but that's by no means a necessity. It just means that I don't have to wait until a stoplight to change the station.

(For what it's worth, I drive entirely one-handed because I don't have enough use in my right arm/hand for it help at all.)
BIGJAVSMA

Post by BIGJAVSMA »

I sometimes worry about when Jojo starts driving. But, when he drives in 14 years, he will probably just sit back and tell the car what to do. Wouldn't that be nice, autopilot!
Chris88
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI C5 to C7
No operations to this point.

Post by Chris88 »

My injury is LOBPI and I learned to drive without any assistive devices. I have to reach thru the steering wheel for some things like turn signal and head light dimmer switch. I wish I had one of those classic cars with the dimmer switch in the floor board. Seems like a good excuse to buy an old muscle car some day ;.)

When I went for my driving test(back in the late 1980’s) the Georgia State Patrol put automatic transmission and power steering on my license as restrictions. But when I went to have it renewed, several years later, the only restriction left on it was for glasses/ contacts. The Americans with Disabilities Act was passed about a year before my license had to be renewed. This might be the reason for them leaving off these two restrictions. I’ve learned how to drive a manual transmission since that was taken off and my current car is a five speed manual.

Here is the UBPN link for vehicle modifications. http://ubpn.org/ubpnweb.nsf/web/vehiclemod.html
"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do the best of which you are capable."
Coach John Wooden
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I learned and drive automatic only without restrictions.I can use my left hand in the steering wheel, I do lights by putting my hand thru the steering wheel like Chris.I just make sure every car I drive has everything else on the right.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/70
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
claudia

Post by claudia »

Hey Chris:
I'm the parent of an LOBPI...but I want that old muscle car....does that count!!!!!! maybe we could find two of them....

claudia
Evan J

Post by Evan J »

I drive a 67 camaro(its a manual and has no power steering) and it does have the headlight switch on the floor and its great!!!

Evan/18/LOBPI