humeral osteotomy

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
morgiebear1995

Re: humeral osteotomy

Post by morgiebear1995 »

My daughter will be having the humeral osteotomy on Dec 3rd. She is now 13 years old and we have seen many docs and have had many recommendations over the years. This will be her first surgery. We have turned it down two times in the past along with other surgeries, but now she really wants to have it done. Out of all the surgeries and all 13 years I have followed BPI this is the one that makes the most sense to me for our daughter. She has grown to be a confident young lady. BPI injuries are so complex and we have seen her do nothing but improve over the years. Her arm is strong and she has found ways to do so many things even when docs said she would not without surgery. We are so proud of her and now are really looking forward to the osteotomy to help put her arm in a more neutral position. We have always been optimistic and realistic when dealing with BPI. We all have to keep in mind that what is good for one may not be good for another. Each injury is specific to each child and each path of recovery truly has to be tailored to them. Please keep us in your prayers and e-mail me if you have any questions. ays_websteru@yahoo.com.

Take care,
-A
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

I'm excited for your daughter and hope that her dreams for a neutral arm will come true. I know someone who was 18 when s he had it done and it made such an incredible difference for her.

The first week of December was when my daughter had all of her surgeries (except for one in May) - so this week is a very special week for us. We will keep your daughter in our prayers - we will hope for a very successful surgery and an easy recovery.

-francine
francine@litzfamily.com
bowieangel

Post by bowieangel »

I have a 14 year old daughter with BPI; so I know the obstacles that your daughter must be facing. I will have/keep her in my prayers continually; and please keep us informed on her success. May God Bless Her!! aybrock@comcast.net
Katlyn

Post by Katlyn »

Did your son have the surgery? How is he? I am 10 and I am having the surgery myself this month. I am very nervous and would like to know more about it.
morgiebear1995

Post by morgiebear1995 »

Great News! Morgan got her cast off today & you would never believe the results we have seen already. She has lots of therapy ahead but can already put her hand behind her head with ease, supinate her palm up, & reach to the side. I swear tears filled my eyes as this was the first time I had ever seen her use her arm like this. Morgan had the humeral osteotomy on Dec 3rd in hope of improving her external range of motion. First day out of cast and the results truly amaze me. If any of you have questions, please e-mail me at ays_websteru@yahoo.com.
-A
morgiebear1995

Post by morgiebear1995 »

Morgan went back to therapy again yesterday & all looks great. It amazes me how quickly she is recovering. The hard thing now is keeping her in the sling. Every time I turn around she has it off, and I have to remind her to put it back on as she has been instructed. Also as of yet she has not complained of any pain. Of course she said she feels a good stretch when we do the exercises but nothing unbearable:).

-A
Mica

Post by Mica »

This is wonderful news! I'm so happy for Morgan and you!!!!!!!

*Happy Dance!*Happy Dance!*Happy Dance!*

What a great update! :)
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

I am beyond happy for you and Morgan.
Thank God for a good result.
morgiebear1995

Post by morgiebear1995 »

Yes...we have been doing the happy dance too. She still has a lot of work ahead of her, but everyday she tells me how happy she is & has not once said anything negative. Thank you all for your support. Francine I did the before video & will do a after when we are finished with brace, sling, etc... I will keep you posted. Again feel free to e-mail with any questions.

-A
Josh'smom

Post by Josh'smom »

My son was recommended for this surgery when he was 7 (he will be 12) and we have been pushing it off....I am sure there will be a day when HE wants it and I will support him in that decision. I wanted to ask, with your surgery do they keep the pins/screws in or do they go back in and take them out?? I know when I had the two opinions on the surgery from two different doctors, each doctor did it differently....just asking...thanks
so happy for your daughter and the outcome she has made....HOORAY!!!