HELP- Pregnant again and SO AFRAID!!!!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Anon

HELP- Pregnant again and SO AFRAID!!!!

Post by Anon »

Okay, I have not posted in quite a long time, but I feel like no one I know could possibly understand how I feel right now so I really need the community here.

I am currently pregnant again, 37 weeks, and I was really hoping to deliver early and avoid a c-section, but most importantly deliver a healthy un-injured baby. It doesnt look like that is going to happen at all.

They have labeled me GD, though I am not sure that is accurate because my blood sugar levels are pretty much normal, with a few being just slightly elevated occasionally. My baby is (probably, at least according to the growth scans) too big for me to deliver vaginally. And I am ABSOLUTELY not willing to risk another injury. I really just want a healthy baby, first and formost.

I dont know if this is just the pregnancy hormones talking, or if I have reason to be afraid, or maybe a little of both, but I am petrified. For one, I desperately want to be able to trust my OB but just cannot- not after what happened with my last delivery. I trusted that doctor, and look where it got me. We both almost died.

So, can someone- please- just share your good experience with a subsequent pregnancy delivered by c-section? The whole abdominal surgery thing scares me (granted not nearly as much as an injured child). I have this huge fear of the unknown now- and I do not feel at all prepared for this c-section.

Also, my doctor has scheduled my delivery for 39 weeks- I have history of 2 early deliveries (well before 39 weeks), is this normal? Please help, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sorry friends but I must be
ANON
crystal

Re: HELP- Pregnant again and SO AFRAID!!!!

Post by crystal »

I had a c-section with the second and now 8 years later i will do it again. compared to what i went through with my BPI child the c-section was a breeze. THe recovery time was half of what it was with the vaginal birth. I ask for something for anxiety on the day of birth becouse i was really scared. This time i am in nursing school and i get to see some bad stuff but 99% of the time things are great.
bfaithda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is Bridget, my son Brayden has a LOBPI. He was born 5-14-07 and weighted 11lbs 3ozs and was 22inches long and got stuck on my pelvis coming out. All 5 nerves were involved 2 ruptured and 3 avulsed, and also had Horner's Syndrome. He had primary surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Parks when he was 3 months old. He used synthetic materials to fuse the nerves together, because the nerves in his calves were not long enough. Brayden currently does aqua therapy, PT, OT and speech therapy. He has little movement in his arm and hand, but that does not stop him from having fun and being a normal boy!!!

Post by bfaithda »

Anon, Congrats on having a new baby soon!!! I understand how you feel. I have a 15 month old that has a LOBPI and a 4 month old that does not. I was learning about BPI when I found I was going to be having another baby. I was scared out of mind, but new I would have a c-section with my second, because I knew I did not want my daughter to have the same injury as my son. I was also very scared of the c-section just the thought made me cringe. With my daughter I was also diagnosed with GD, but I was able to control it with diet. I am sure I had it with my son, but was never diagnosed.

My 2nd OBGYN told me that all c-sections that are scheduled are scheduled during the 39th week. Mine was scheduled on my due date, because her schedule was booked. She told me if I went into labor not to worry we would go ahead with the c-section once I got to the hospital. My daughter waited until the 40 weeks, I think she would have waited longer if she could have.

The c-section took no time at all. They give you a spinal, and once they get it in, it takes no time at all til you have a baby. At first when you first get the spinal you might feel like you are going to pass out. They said that was normal, but then it stops. I did not feel a thing, and they test to make sure you don't. Before I knew it, she was born moving both arms and legs, just perfect. After they finish sewing me up they put you in a recovery room until you can move your toes and feet, then to a room.

I will not lie and tell you everything else afterwards was great, It stunk, besides your bundle of joy of course. I recommend you to take your pain meds every 4-6 hours or what is recommended for the first 2 weeks. It will help you get over it faster. It will hurt to move, laugh, cough, walk, it will hurt bad. It will also feel as if your insides are going to spill all over the floor when you do these things. I read up on c-sections and found out how other mothers dealt with the recovery. I learned to take my meds regularly, no matter if I felt nothing at the time. It takes the meds longer to go into effect if you are in pain. I also tried to walk and move around when I could, but also slept every chance I got. That was hard especially breast feeding, but I felt better after getting rest.

It was definitely harder with c-section, but it was so worth it, and I would do it again if the time ever comes. I hope this does not scare you anymore then you already are. I know it is very scarey going into the unknown. It will all be over before you know it, and you will be holding your beautiful baby in your arms!!! If you have any question just let me know. I hope everthing works out great!!!!

Bridget Brayden's Mom (LOBPI)
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

I just want to wish you a wonderful birth. I can understand how you are scared to death - I would be, too. Try to focus on the positive - that soon you'll have your little bundle in your arms. Bring an ipod in with you with beautiful music to listen to so that you don't hear the doctor's mumblings (it's best you don't hear what they are saying! ) As a doula, I've been present to a few C-sections and it happens quickly. They will start your pain meds before you even go in so that they are on top of it for you - that's one of the most important things - to stay on TOP of the pain rather than chase it and try to catch up.
Again, I will pray for a wonderful birth for the both of you.
-francine
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

Hi!!
I have had a child by c/s after having a baby born with a BPI.

My C/S birth was really great. Over all it was the best birth I had experienced out of my three kids. I actually bonded faster to that baby and it was so great to see his arms moving as they should and not have to deal with therapy and doc appointments.

I am currently 35 weeks pregnant and plan to deliever to baby in 4 weeks by C/S again!

Please feel free to contact me and perhaps we could talk on the phone or something so that you can get the reassurance you need!

Blessings,
Kristie
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Congratulations!

Here's my input (I've never had a c/s, but I'm a labor/delivery/mother/baby nurse who also has a daughter with a ROBPI).

-ask for Duramorph in your spinal...it lasts for anywhere from 16-24 hours (longer in some patients) for pain control...the patient who have it versus those who don't I notice a HUGE difference in pain control, even with a PCA of morphine after delivery

-talk with the staff beforehand about how they do their c/s (I'm talking about nursing staff)...what is the policy of the baby being in the recovery room, family visiting, who can come into the c/s...get their input

Here's how a c/s goes from my experiences as a nurse. 39 weeks in typical for a scheduled c/s. You show up to the designated place on the date (nothing to eat or drink since midnight) and they get consents signed, anesthesia and your OB doc talks to you, and IV is started, lots of people milling around. BRING THE CAMERA! You're brought into the OR which is a bit chilly, and the spinal is given (spinal is similar to an epidural if you've ever had one of those before, but no catheter is left in your back). The spinal starts to work very quickly. Lots of monitoring...blood pressure, heart rate, maybe some oxygen on your face, your arms may be strapped down (you can ask that they don't be strapped or be loosely strapped). Many times your foley catheter is placed while in the OR and your spinal is already working. Sometimes it is done before the spinal. Ask if it can be done after anesthesia if you like, this way you don't feel it (your privates will be displayed in front of strangers for this). Your belly will be cleaned off, sometimes a little shave of your pubic hair is done (not always), and your baby's heartrate will be checked while in the OR. You may not feel this though because the spinal is working now. Drapes are put up, so you probably won't be able to see anything. You can ask anesthesia to hold a mirror up to see your baby born if you like (arrange this beforehand or bring a hand held mirror with you). Lots of people will be around (doctors, nurses, techs). Lots of machines making noises. This is all normal. Your doctor tests your spinal by pinching your skin with a clamp, then the surgery starts. A crying baby! Peds/nurses do what they need to do and your baby is shown to you. Your surgery is finished, and sometimes the baby stays there the whole time, and some hospitals bring the baby to the nursery while your surgery is being completed. If the latter occurs, you can be reunited with your baby in the recovery room or in your postpartum room. Check the hospital's policy.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 5 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
Anon

Post by Anon »

Thank you all so much. I so desperately want everything to be okay, and I dont think I will be able to get a moments rest until I hold this baby in my arms and see that she is perfect and uninjured.

The whole catheter thing- I was planning on asking them to wait until after the spinal to do that. No sense feeling anymore uncomfortable than I have to.

I tend to be kind of a pain martyr, but after all the suggestions to stay on top of the pain, I think I will take your advice and take the pain meds as advised.

You guys are all so great. I really miss the community here, and being able to discuss openly about my childs injury. I look forward to the time when I can again. I really appreciate all of you.

Sorry but I must be
Anon
nkjacoby
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Nicholas is 11 years old and his birth was complicated by a severe shoulder dystocia resulting in a severe LOBPI. He has had 5 surgeries to date with very little improvement. His left arm has never fully gained any functional use and has been completely flaccid until his last surgery. It now sits at a more natural position, but he is still unable to use his arm. However, his hand function was never limited until after his most recent surgery and is now completely limited due to an ulnar nerve entrapment. He is getting ready to have his 6th surgery in April to free the ulnar nerve from his last surgery. He is an amazing young man who never gives up on his dreams. He is my HERO!!!

Post by nkjacoby »

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your baby. My first son was born 5 years ago via vaginal birth resulting in a very serious LOBPI. During my second pregnancy, I was very apprehensive. I did however take my time to interview the doctor that I have now. We talked about my situation and he was open to an elective c-section. I personally wouldn't wannt to take any chances with another shoulder dystocia. I am now pregnant with my third baby due March 25. I have already talked to my doctor and he is open to the idea of another elective c-section. At the end of the day, you will make the right decision. Good luck to you and if you ever need to talk to someone please feel free to email me. :0)
Mom to Nicholas 11 LOBPI, Dawson 7, and Kalyssa 5
georgia's mom

Post by georgia's mom »

I was in your boat about 26 months ago when I found out I was pregnant with our second child. I switched doctors after my first delivery because of my daughter's injury, I wasn't going to let that happen again. I was very upfront with my new doctor that I wasn't going to go through that again and requested a c-section from the beginning. I had a c-section with my son and I would do it again in a heart beat. I wish I would have had that choice with Georgia. The delivery and recovery was a much better experience, within 2 weeks I felt 100% better than probably 5-6 weeks after my first delivery. I WOULD HAVE THE C-SECTION.
ajlester2005

Post by ajlester2005 »

Hi,

My first child with ROBBP (?) was 9lb 3 oz with an obvious tight fit due to the injury. Up until 38 weeks pregnant with my second child, I was with the mind set that I was going to have another vaginal birth with out an epidural. BUT, I obviously was reluctant due to my history. I was offered an c-section and I took the offer. When I heard my second was 9lb 1 oz 1.5 weeks early I was delighted.

My advised come from a woman who is a mother BP injuried child from birth and an OB nurse. With having experienced both I personally feel the c-sec pain was not as bad as vaginal birth. A planned c-sec is even better due to no labor or pushing for 3-4 four hours prior to the c-sec. I stay 3 days in the hospital and the next day I went shopping with my mother and husband for help. For my vaginal birth, I was sore weeks. My c-sections, I sore for the first few days and gradually got better. This probabbly because you are on your behind feeding the baby alot and stomache can be worked around.

Since I have been a OB nurse, I feel the c-section ladies have faired better due to two things: a marcaine pump and spinal durmorph. A marcaine pump is a pump that constantly puts bupivacaine along the incision ( help a little bit) and spinal durmorph is medication that the anesthesiologist use for 24 hour pain control. The most common side effect is itching. These are two things that seem to make the ladies due very well. They are walking well in 4-6 hours and the more you walk in the beginning the faster you will recover. I strongly recommend you ask your doctor what is offered for pain management.