worried about numbness in both hands

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Mare

Re: worried about numbness in both hands

Post by Mare »

Ok now I'm really worried when I bend my neck forward I get a tingling all the way from my neck to my toes I'm waiting on a referal to see a neuro and looking for a choiropractor there is one in my area but was told by a few people to stay clear of him how do you know a good one from a bad one??? Mare
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Mare,
With all these new symptoms, I would stay away from a chiro until you see the neuro. You don't know what is going on and it seems to be progressing.
What you are describing sounds like l'Hermitte's Sign, which can be serious. You need to see a MD/neuro ASAP.
I don't mean to scare you, but this is serious now and has been going on long enough.
Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Mare
You must see your Neuro. I think that you need more evaluation especially with tilting your head down and feeling all the way to your toes.

Get an appointment ASAP... it could be nothing but pinched nerves but it's best to make sure.

Marieke
That is just what I was thinking because my daughter has this right now. She just finished her steroids for it.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Mare

Post by Mare »

Marieke
I went and looked up Hermittes sign most said was caused by pinched nerve or was a symptom of ms but didn't say anything about the treatment.It does sound like what's going on with, I don't know if it was caused by the surgery in my right arm or not but I'm going to call the surgeon today and talk with him I was also thinking the neck thing started when the new OT had me start doing exercises called nerve slides which involve stretching the neck to each side while bring arm across your chest and pushing it out straight. Two yrs ago I went to a neuro for headaches and bad neck pain I was 42 he said it was arthritis that I was getting old he put me on celebrex but was taken off when I started having chest pain my PCP said the dosage was way over the top to much. The pain finally went away but left me not trusting neuro's not counting the ones I've had to see with Frankie and not one has ever done surgery on him or really done anything except order tests, I'll see what the surgeon says and the OT and my brother said to call his chiropractor and just talk to him see what he thinks it could be Thanks for all the help Mare
Mare

Post by Mare »

I spoke with the doctor while with the OT today they feel it maybe a herniated disk I have to see him tomorrow don't ask me how this happened I haven't been doing a thing since my surgery Mare
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Mare
If I were you, I would request and MRI. I am like you when it comes to trusting doctors guesses.
An MRI will show you what is going on not someone guessing what it might be. UGH... I feel bad for you but your symptoms are not something to mess around with. They need to use diagnostic tools to actually see what is going on.
I know I am a bit over the top with these signs you can't be sure without proper testing. You could be chasing you tale for a long time to come.

Hope you can get taken care of soon.
Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Mare

Post by Mare »

Well Kath the worst part is now I'm thinking this was the cause of my right arm pain from the start a herniated disk. And that I never needed the nerve surgery that it wasn't a compressed ulnar nerve after all. Workers comp doctor says they won't cover the disk problem since they can't prove it was work related but they sure were ready to operate on my right arm and are planning to do the same to my left arm under workers comp as soon as the right recovers. This is unreal I may have been sliced and diced for no good reason. Mare
Kath

Post by Kath »

Mare
No more slice and dice until they use the proper diagnostic tools to rule out other things that may be causing your problems. I had burning and stinging and numbness for a few years and they just ignored it or gave guesses. Now when they guess I want them to show me the proof and I take all my films just to make sure there are no more mistakes on me.

One doctor told me I had a fatty deposit in my spinal cord. Another told me it was from an Avulsion... hmmm
So who was guessing???

Hope things work out and you soon have an answer.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Mare,
I'm with Kath. Please have an MRI to stop the guessing. I sure wouldn't let them do surgery on your other arm either until MRI shows al the facts.

HUGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Mare

Post by Mare »

Ok just got home from the ortho surgeon he did an xray of my neck said most people have curves in there necks mine it totally straight but I knew this already.The disks are fine. He is sending me for an MRI but says he just thinks the nerves are irritated from the surgery and that workers comp will cover this. So now I just have to wait for them to do the MRI. Mare