2nd pregnancy n Gestational diabetes

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Salina

2nd pregnancy n Gestational diabetes

Post by Salina »

Hello everyone,
Well im really scared with this pregnancy because i wuz diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
I have to start insulin for my meals 3 x a day
Im scared cause my Daughter wuz born with the rbpi
And had surgery in april she had the Tendon transfer.
Dr. thinks i can deliver natural but i have fear from with my 1 daughter they didnt say i had GD It wuz never diagnosed i had preclampsia.
Wuz induced 3 weeks early/
So im a nervous wreck :(
katep

Re: 2nd pregnancy n Gestational diabetes

Post by katep »

Have you talked to your doctor specifically about their shoulder dystocia protocols and what does he know about the subsequent risk of SD and BPI if you already have one injured child? How confident are they that they are getting an accurate reading on how large your child is?

I think at this point, given your GD and your previously injured child, I personally would insist on a C-section.

Kate
Salina

Post by Salina »

I know i totally agree.
I am so nervous cause i am due verry soon and have a lot of fear right now cause what happend to my Daughter and she wuz only 7lb 6 oz.
Also i wuz induced with her 3 weeks early vacume asst.
:(
Salina

Post by Salina »

There for if i would have waited untill my due date she would have been 11 Lbs.
My Husband thinks i had GD with her n they did not diagnose me right.
Cole's Mommy

Post by Cole's Mommy »

Oh, I can only imagine your fears. Is it possible to request/demand a c-section? I pray that you will be able to feel that you and your baby are safe and secure.
Salina

Post by Salina »

Thanks it is just eating me up in the inside of what i should expect this time:(
My DH Did not even want another Because of the surgery we went through with my DD.
He is happy now but is just as scared as i am.
I have this fear now of all the Dr. i see.
It just keeps playing in my head over n over.

When i set n think n cry my eyes out prayin to God that this will not happen to us again i get scared nervous depressed no one n my family understands the everyday pain i go through waching my 3 year old Daughter suffer from Something so tragic at birth.
She still can not wipe her butt on her own she has a hard time gettin her pants up n down.
She screams n crys now when she cant get somethin open.
IM a mess:(
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Congratulations Salina!

It is understandable to have an array of emations at this time of your pregnancy. Gestational diabetes is manageable, but it can be complicated. Learn all you can about it from your OB/midwife provider, get in touch with a great nutritionist, and speak with an endocrinologist as well to manage your insulin injections.

You need to have a long discussion with your OB/midwife provider about what your plan of care is regarding this pregnancy and what your options are, so you can make an information decision that you and your husband are COMFORTABLE with. This is your body and your child, not the OB/midwives, so you are part of this decision-making process! I am a big advocate of natural birth, and I have an injured daughter, but I also advocate more for prevention of injured children.

Print out our prevention brochure for your doctor/midwife (http://ubpn.org/ubpnweb.nsf/web/prevention.pdf) and bring it along to your next appointment. Once you've delivered a child who was injured at birth and/or experienced a shoulder dystocia in a previous birth, your risk of a repeat experience is higher than the average population. You need to find out what this OB/midwive's experience is with dealing with shoulder dystocia. How many injuries have they had? How many shoulder dystocias have they dealt with (and if they say none or only a couple I would run for the hills because either they are inexperienced or they probably aren't telling the truth I would suspect). What is the hospital's protocols for dealing with SD and are there SD drills regularly carried out? Can you request a primary cesarean section if you do not want to deliver vaginally (and if for some reason your doctor is not available on the day you deliver...you go into labor early and your OB is out of town and another doctor is covering for them, then can it be documented clearly in your chart that the c/s is still to be carried out)? Can you deliver in alternative birthing positions instead of on your back vaginally (squatting, side-lying, hands and knees) along with laboring in those positions and have it documented in your chart that those are approved by the doctor/midwife and the nursing staff is to accommodate you. Many times with gestational diabetes, doctors will induce early (38-39 weeks) because of the risk of the baby became large, so a discussion about induction (which is a risk in itself) needs to occur.

My thoughts are with you, and ask questions. Do what you feel is best for you and your family. It's a personal decision and neither choice is wrong as long as you are okay with that decision and the outcome. Best thoughts for a happy and healthy birth.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 5 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Salina,
Your email address isn't listed in your profile so I'm here to say I am praying for you until you post that your treasure of a baby is born.

Please let us know how the bith went for both you and your child.

A really BIG ((((Hug)))),
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI/69

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Salina

Post by Salina »

Thank u all verry much i will keep everyone updated.
Im just going with the flow i really appriciate everything.
Lots of hugs n kisses.
Luv Salina
Cole's Mommy

Post by Cole's Mommy »

Hi Salina!
I'm just checking in to see how you are doing?
I have been thinking about you and you are in my prayers.
Nicole