Does Mayo Clinic care if there is litigation?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Wendy Lee

Does Mayo Clinic care if there is litigation?

Post by Wendy Lee »

I am still, yes still struggling to get a dx. Long story, and this moment I don't have time to put out there, but I've been turned away by a prominant hospital in this area for testing and a fresh approach, and my only recourse is Mayo. This is a car accident, and I am not at fault, and there is an attorney involved, so is that going to make a difference to Mayo?

I am going to put this on the other forum just so a few more people might see it and help me out.
Thanks.
herff94

Re: Does Mayo Clinic care if there is litigation?

Post by herff94 »

Hi~
Not sure what you mean. You make an appointment with the clinic and you have to pre-register when you get there. Meaning you provide your insurance. If you don't want to use your own insurance then you will agree to pay when you leave. Is it that you don't have insurance? You could use a credit card until your settlement comes. If you think there is a possibility you may not get a settlement what will you do then as far as getting the help you need?
But you have to register when you get there; providing insurance coverage. Doctors at Mayo don't have any influence on billing; I have talked to them in past about that since my last 6 surgeries were experimental.
Kath
Wendy Lee

Post by Wendy Lee »

It has nothing to do with health insurance. It has all to do with litigation regarding the car accident. With the other car insurance company. Like law suit you know.

Reason why is that I was refused at Barnes Jewish Hospital to go for testing, heck even to get in to see a blasted doctor. They do not see people who have an attorney in the background.

Before I register, or go to the expense of traveling to Mayo, I would like reasurance from others that Mayo doesn't care about having a lawsuit in progress.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Just call and ask. I dont think that they would turn you down But the only way to know for sure is to ask Mayo.
Good luck!
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Wendy Lee

Post by Wendy Lee »

Yeah I know Amy, I tried calling today, however it was probably at their busiest time and I had to hang up after 20 minutes waiting.

Honestly, I think I've been blackballed in my city. Not a single doctor will come up with anything that might be a problem except that I am simply faking it or they don't want to be involved with this sort of accident.

See the problem is because the rigid muscle episodes have not happened except in front of two doctors, one was a walk-in clinic doctor, and the other an emergency room doctor. Mind you, they could have done more, but they chose not to. I now have spastic paralyzed muscles in my forehead, scalp, jaw, the muscles down the side of my neck, the pectoral muscles, some muscles in the left arm, shoulder muscles, back, ribs, left hip/groin, the inside of my left leg on down to the ankle and toes. The rigid muscle plus excruiating overall pain episodes come about every 10-12 days. And these do a major number on me.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Sorry that you had to wait that long and not get any one to talk to you! I thought you might have already tried that ut thought I would suggest it anyway.

I do hope that you are able to get some answers from someone asap!!!
Good luck Wendy!
Hugs,
Amy
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

I think Mayo had us fill out a questionaire proir to Dustin's first visit. It asked primary insurance. I don't remember if it asked whether there was litigation. But I would think as long as there is insurance or you set up a payment plan that you should be able to go. It sounds like the drs in your area are afraid of having to testify, especially since they don't seem to have a set diagnosis. This is really sad to hear. I know that Court's was an accident also and she is seen at the Mayo. Dustin's was an accident too but we have no recourse to the others involved so our insurance has covered Mayo with "gap coverage".
Sue
herff94

Post by herff94 »

I agree with Sue, you don't need to provide that information when making an appointment and I don't recall seeing anything on the forms I just filled out last Oct. (2006). If they don't ask-don't tell! Provide the required info. and see the doctor.
Good luck....................
denaegirl

Post by denaegirl »

Wendy, I am going through the same issue, almost. My son was injured by our doctor during birth. I do have a Lawyer working on my case and they are more than happy to help at Mayo. We are going to the one in Rochester MN. The Neurologists there are GREAT!!! they have given us so much hope, and my son goes in for surgery next week. They will even allow you to put your attorney on your list of who gets to know about your condition and recovery.

I hope this helps you out.

Denae
Wendy Lee

Post by Wendy Lee »

Well to all of you who have dealt with Mayo for BP issues, you have my blessings. But let me tell you, if you ever get into an accident and have to see a neurologist at Mayo, good stinking luck. I talked with them this morning and the neurology dept. will not see you if you have neuro problems from a car accident. Period. It doesn't matter if you have attorney or not, they won't see you. Do you wonder why people continue to have problems for years and years after having whiplash? Because their problems are never dealt with in a constructive manner. Basically they tell you to learn to live with it and if you're lucky, you get painkillers to deal with the bad times. The only thing I might have as a recourse is to go to the ER during an episode and get an EEG performed to see if these are seizures. And that's only if the PCP will order it when they call. I've been hesitant to do this ER visit again because the last time it cost me $400.00 to get nothing more than a shot of muscle relaxer and painkiller and booted out. They wouldn't even call a neurologist in to do a looksee. I have a problem with that you know.