Bad/Sad DAY

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Mindy

Re: Bad/Sad DAY

Post by Mindy »

Your son can play baseball again. I have a LTBPI and I was left handed. I made myself learn again because I am a single Mom of four. Three boys and one girl.
Swinging the bat took a little work but I got it down. I hold it more like someone who is going to bunt it if that helps. Throwing the ball took some practice. I know I read somewhere of a child with only one arm playing first base. So I don't see why he can't. It will just mean modifying how he does it.
Mindy
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Hi Traci,

You must be so proud of Joe! I know I am, and I'm not even his mom!! What a cool kid.

I can relate to the "mom moment" thing, I've had plenty of those myself, sitting on the sidelines of our children's lives and wishing we could get in there and pinch hit for them...

Joe can do whatever he sets his mind to. Think of Jim Abbott...major league pitcher, missing one arm.

I guess this is just another one of those little moments/challenges that come up periodically, and you made it through, as did Joe, with flying colors. How great of you guys to be there for the team, that will be something that Joe will carry with him throughout his life, your willingness to be there with him and for him, and for both of you to be there for his team regardless of whether he plays or not.

Way to go, Traci, you are a great mom.

Bridget
bigsel

Post by bigsel »

Traci, Iknow what your thinking, I'ts not fair your son can be there & not be able to take part, but it will lift his spirits no end, just being part of it all will gee him up. I was in the same situation a few weeks ago when my local rugby team( whom I played for, for 19 years) got to the finals of the Scottish cup at Murrayfield, & I wasn't able to play, but just being with the team on the day was brilliant, it was just great to take part in it even though I didn't play. So don't worry to much your son will do just fine.

take care
bigsel
Scottish tbpi
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Traci, it probably bothers you more than it does him, my parents took longer to come to terms with my bpi than I did. It's great that he wants to go, some people withdraw completely into themselves and can't watch things they used to do, he's obviously got a great attitude which is what you need with a tbpi. I hope Fridays not too hard for you, enjoy it for his sake and i hope they win! :0)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Traci
I was 17 when I had a LBPI and I was left handed at the time. Up till then I used to play most sports in particular basketball.
A couple of years after my accident a friend urged me to play a game of darts in the pub. At first I felt very uncomfortable throwing a dart with my wrong hand. However my friend kept on urging me to percevere and after a few weeks I started to get the hang of it. Over the last few years have since won a number of local darts competitions.
I know the above don't sound much, but at the time the psycological effect of re-learning hand and co-ordination for me was superb. I had learn't to overcome my disability I was on the road to rebuild my life.
My I suggest that you urge/encourage Joe to take up an activity he can't do now but has a realistic chance of becomming competent at. (Obviously he has to enjoy it) Once he he has the confidence that he can overcome his disability he will then have a go at anything, be it sport or any other type of activity.
When I look back, it was regaining confidence with myself that I think was the important.
Good Luck Joe.
Phil
Ticknall, England

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Traci
I was 17 when I had a LBPI and I was left handed at the time. Up till then I used to play most sports in particular basketball.
A couple of years after my accident a friend urged me to play a game of darts in the pub. At first I felt very uncomfortable throwing a dart with my wrong hand. However my friend kept on urging me to percevere and after a few weeks I started to get the hang of it. Over the last few years have since won a number of local darts competitions.
I know the above don't sound much, but at the time the psycological effect of re-learning hand and co-ordination for me was superb. I had learn't to overcome my disability I was on the road to rebuild my life.
May I suggest that you urge/encourage Joe to take up an activity he can't do now but has a realistic chance of becomming competent at. (Obviously he has to enjoy it) Once he he has the confidence that he can overcome his disability he will then have a go at anything, be it sport or any other type of activity.
When I look back, it was regaining confidence with myself that I think was the important thing.
Good Luck Joe.
Phil
Ticknall, England

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Traci
I know the above don't sound much, but at the time the psycological effect of regaining hand and eye co-ordination for me was superb. I had learn't to overcome my disability I was on the road to rebuild my life.
May I suggest that you urge/encourage Joe to take up an activity he can't do now but has a realistic chance of becomming competent at. (Obviously he has to enjoy it) Once he he has the confidence that he can overcome his disability he will then have a go at anything, be it sport or any other type of activity.
When I look back, it was regaining confidence with myself that I think was the important thing.
Good Luck Joe.
Phil
Ticknall, England