How do you cope with the frustration?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Michelle Gordon

Re: How do you cope with the frustration?

Post by Michelle Gordon »

Hi there
Like you, I hardly post but have also been reading the replies to this topic. The repsonses have been really inspirational - I certainly have a bigger spring in my step today! Thanks.
spinkydee

Post by spinkydee »

Does your son have the same sling as Fernando? If so, where can it be purchased? Thanks...Michele
catchatrain

Post by catchatrain »

Hi there big guy,

This is my take on it. I posted this a while ago on the tbpiuk website.Know remember I'm pretty new at this,so it isn't quit sugar coated.Anyway at least it is an opinion. Good luck...........catch a train (Marshall)

Hi All,
I'm not going to make this a me reply or any of the sorts.But I do have a take on this. It may not apply but here it is.(Sorry about the harshnest,it's just my opinion).

Back in the mid 90's I helped construct the largest rehersal studios here in Atlanta.During that time I was an aspiring rock star so I definatly felt the need to look the part.

Always surounded by people with the same interest.Mohawks tatoos nose rings combat boots bomber jackets and the such.
I learned early on that outside my peer group at the time that I did not fit in in the least.I always got snide remarks from people passing buy,calling me a freak, a dope head ( true),a looser.

The more a grew to this the I realized these people could F**k off and I was determined to make the statement the more I went thru this.

I guess what Im getting at is since my injury the last thing that has crossed my mind is what other people think about my arm or me for that matter.I have no use for that crap,dont even waste my time with them

Your arm or arms is a part of your life.There is nothing you can do about that.I covered myself in tattoos that most people find repulsive to say the least.Thats something that is part of my life I cant(wont)change.Its me and thats that.

My point is to h@ll with anyone that gives you the slightest cross eyed look because of the way you are.You are not there by choice but at the same time its your body and no one elses buissness. Im sure you may have to be polite and what not , but dont go out of your way to acomadate someone elses nearsightedness.Screw em YOU ARE YOU.

No matter where you are or who you are with you cant change who you are just to make someome else comfortable around you.If they are not able to understand and leave it alone,thats not your problem.Its theirs.

I use to walk in to a store and have people stop in their tracks all the time.They never seen anything like it.And it was great.Loved every minute of it.

I may be frail,week,and barely resemble that person today but, I still give a crap less what people think when they see me.

I understand that it is hard,but keep your head up and F**k what other people think of you man.You are you,always have been always will be.....Marshall

And yes I know you probably cant go to a formal event ready to tell people to go scew themselves if they dont like what they see,But in your mind and a few polite words about where you stand about your injury can easly do the trick.Good luck...catchatrain
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A year and a half post injury. It's sad to say, but I learned to live with my injury. It's sad to say I'm used to it. I don't want to be used to it.

The other week, when I left work, I was throwing on my sling(not Fernandos) and everyone asked what happen. I told them what my left arm and shoulder. They thought it happened that weekend, I told them it happened almost 2 years ago. Part of me felt good that I was able to fake it that no one noticed, but the other part still felt like feces cause , well just cause it does.

It's winter so I work on some modifications on my bike. Thats my therapy. I get fustrated when I can't get a good grip on something cause I can only work with one hand.

I don't know, I play with my dog, he knows not to go for my left arm.
garytj1

Post by garytj1 »

i am going thru the same frustration its no fun i dont knwo how to cope either other then being angry all the time