Motorcycle Adaptions

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
spinkydee

Re: Motorcycle Adaptions

Post by spinkydee »

Linda...I can relate to what you are saying as I was thinking the very same thing as I read through the postings. Mostly thinking: I hope my son doesn't read this but on the other hand (so to speak), he repaired motorcycles before his accident (on the job accident) and would probably love to share his 2 cents. He also suffered a brain injury and is struggling to adjust to his disabilities and change of self-image. And, the pain is probably the worst part of it.

I love horses. I've been terribly injured while riding. I didn't own one again until about 6 years ago (30 year gap). I know the feeling of freedom and joy that comes with riding horses. My mother asked me how I could endanger myself again? And, I also told her she couldn't possibly understand. Well, that horse didn't kill me but she died a very tragic death. A broken heart can be about as bad as a broken body.

Going through this ordeal with my son has been very difficult for both of us. I don't think I could survive another go round. And yet, I would be fooling myself to think that life couldn't get harder no matter how careful we may be.

But, if I do ride again (horses), you can bet that I will be wearing a helmet. I guess it's a matter of personal risk and judgement. Do I think my son will try riding a bike again...yes. Do I look forward to the day...no. Does it make him angry to see a rider without a helmet? YES! Does he understand it when I say it's a personal choice? NO! Does it make any sense to me? NO! Do I think Canada is wise in a national law for helmets? YES! As with seatbelts and anything to make getting out there with God knows who...safer. One thing I do understand now is that the choices I make and the consequences are not just about me. There are a few things I thought about doing in my younger days (and a few I've done) that I have certainly ruled out now as not worth the risk. To each their own...I'm glad you raised the subject, Linda. It is very hard to see someone you love suffer. For as bad as this has been, I remind myself of how much worse it would be to be mourning my son's death.
Dave m

Post by Dave m »

Hi guys, i've not read this forum for quite a while but wanted to contribute to this thread.
Mitch there are adaptions you can do to a bike, Karlos is left BPI and he was talking about fitting an electronic gearshift to his bike so his left hand doesn't have to operate the clutch. I was right BPI in 99 caused bike a bike accident and was lucky to get good recovery in my arm and some in my hand. Rode dirtbikes for a while and more recently was riding my bro's yam 600 on the road as my car needs repair. I adjusted the front brake lever so it was just the right reach to it for my fingers but had to stop riding every now and then to warm that hand up as cold weather makes it stiffer. A thumb operated brake on the left bar is probably the answer for me.
Some people asked why i would ride a bike again risking more injury, well i just replied i know what i'm doing.

BUT exactly what i was trying to avoid recently happened to me.. i was slammed from behind by a car at a junction and knocked off the bike, landing on my injured arm and breaking it just below the shoulder, doh! My right shoulder is now stiff and painful and i lost 90% of the ROM i gained back last time. I'm anxious to get working on it but the PT says be patient wait for the fracture to heal properly then we can start working on my shoulder but doesn't know how much ROM I can get back? The muscles of the shoulder are drastically weakened by the impact and pain in the shoulder joint doesn't tempt me to try lifting my arm at all. All in all i'm lucky it wasn't my good arm put in a sling or i would have been highly dependant on others until it healed, not good!
I'm staying off bikes for winter but next summer (yeah im a fair weather biker now) might get another bike, accidents like the recent one are rare thankfully.
Meanwhile i fight impatience and try get my shoulder working again, in the new year im going with friends to the canary islands for some sunny beaches and would just love to be able to lift my right arm again to ride a windsurf board, a brilliant feeling and much less painful wipeouts than crashing bikes! ;O)
Have a feeling i'll be a spectator rather than a participant though but there's still a couple of months until the holiday, ya never know eh??
Ride/drive safe guys and be lucky and happy :O)
John K

Post by John K »

Hey Dave

Sad to hear of year recent accident. We might have to start calling you Superdave. I hope you have a speedy recovery. I dont ride much but I still have my bike and enjoy knowing I can when I want to.

Check out my new toy

www.scootersperformance.com/mycamaro.jpg

I started racing again hope to have my powerplant in it by the spring but the funds aren't cooperating yet. I have been tuing a similiar car for a buddy and hope to be racing again soon. It has an air shifted tranny controlled by rpm so i can drive it.
Dave m

Post by Dave m »

Hi John mate, hows it goin dude??

Judging by the pic of your new toy, things are going great! A tuned camaro, nice.. always had a soft spot for muscle cars but couldn't afford to run one of the gas guzzlers over here, fuel in the UK is crazy expensive, and getting worse.. plus we like cars that handle fast cornering not just fast in a straight line, oops i'll have USA guys wanting a fight with me!! LOL you don't mess wi superdave!! ;O)

You could ask BPI folks for pics of their bikes or cars to put somewhere in cyberspace i'd love to see em, what do ya think guys? It was great to see a shot of Fernando waterskiing holding on with one arm (on the bpi map locator post) and seeing folks enjoying driving/riding/sports after injury is a good morale booster i reckon. C'mon guys send John yer pics then you can all argue who's fastest! I think a chevy corvette would win best looking toy?
Anyways whatever you do enjoy, this ain't no dress rehearsal its your life, take it easy all
Mitch
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left TBPI 03/06/01. Motorcycle accident

Post by Mitch »

Guys

Ive not posted on here in years, trying to upload a picture of me on my R6, Couldnt do it so heres a link to myspace
http://bigm71.spaces.live.com/

Best Wishes

Mitch
All or Nothing!!
Mitch
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left TBPI 03/06/01. Motorcycle accident

Post by Mitch »

Just realised its four years to the day tomorrow since I posted the origional message....Spooky!

http://bigm71.spaces.live.com/
All or Nothing!!
shaunnb

Post by shaunnb »

Good luck to you mitch! i cant wait to get back on either! i came off my R1..
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

Good luck to all! I came off my Goldwing...
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Thanks Guys!

It was an R1 for me aswell.

Started riding again a couple of years back, Enjoying some brilliant Track Days, Weather permitting will have another one on the 15th Sept!

Take Care
All or Nothing!!