Arthritis ?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
ashley110603

Arthritis ?

Post by ashley110603 »

My daughter is 3 she has a minor left bp injury, she woke up yesterday Morning crying, telling me she can't walk, she was able to, but limping from 8:00AM till 3:00PM. I took her to the Doctor, he said it may be a form of juvenile arthritis and referred my daughter to Pediatric Rheumatology, she did have blood work back in June for leg pain , but they said all the blood work came back good, and they did test for juvenile arthritis. Is arthritis common with a bp injury? My daughter never complains of arm pain, it is always leg pain, more on the right side.

Karen
PA, Mom to Ashley
claudia

Re: Arthritis ?

Post by claudia »

Ashley:
Juvenile Arthritis is a rheumatic condition. It has nothing to do with bpi. Later on in life arthritis becomes an issue (often with the unaffected arm, as it is overused).

I also know of kids who have had a virus that settled in their legs. It caused pain and stiffness and they really did not want to walk at all.

good luck, I hope she is feeling better soon,
claudia
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Yes Claudia is right, the arthritis associated with BP is osteoarthritis, I has it a bit is my BP shoulder b/c the bones don't sit right in the socket.
Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
katep

Post by katep »

Joshua has been complaining about his knees hurting lately. But he grew something like 3 inches in the last six months... the doc thinks it is growing pains!

Kate
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Claudia is right. The virus associated with leg pain or anypain is is call sinivititus. It is caused from a virus somewhere else in the body that settles in the particular persons weakest point, whatever that may be. When I was 13 I did not walk for a year. They couldn't figure out why. I was an athlete and I had slid back in to second base and hurt my left knee. It didn't really bother me. Then two months later I got a kidney infection that settled in that left knee. It took an outstanding orthopedic doctor almost a year to figure it out. To this day.....if I get an infection, my knee hurts immediately, I start to limp and off to the doctor I go. Once I am on antibiodics......the pain goes away as well as the limping !!! It is okay now that I am an adult, but as a teen I hated it because my parents knew exactly when I was "REALLY" sick. BTW....it shows up on xrays like arthritis...but I Can assure that it is not !! You may have to bring it up to the doctor. You may ask why the legs and not the affected arm.....because they fall constantly on their legs.....and that is why in children it settles there.

Kate P,
That type of pain would be considered OsGood Slaugters disease.Spelling is incorrect I am sure of it! Although If I remember right.....it usually effects children in their teens......watch him later. My brothers both suffered from this in high school. That is what they originally diagnosed me with, but it ended up being different.

Leg pain, I know about especially in the knee region. You have to make sure it properly diagnosed as you do anything else. I really suffered with my undiagnosed knee pain....the doctor did not want to operate on me because of the scarring, but that would have been the last result !!! he ended out casting me for 4 weeks and when the cast same off the knee was fine. (JUST IN TIME FOR VOLLEY BALL SEASON....WHICH DIDN't MAKE MY PARENTS TO COMFORTABLE ) GAYLE
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

hi, just for fun and info...
Osgood Schlatters (my friend had that in HS)
http://www.osgoodschlatter.com/?gclid=C ... SAodrFewkQ
found this site about it.
Marieke :)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com