Hi, my name is Michelle

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Michelle Gordon

Hi, my name is Michelle

Post by Michelle Gordon »

As the subject says, my name is Michelle. I am 28 years old and live in Durban, South Africa. I had a quad bike accident 2 months ago (tomorrow) and broke my back which required spinal fusion from T10 - L2 and pins and plates, neck, 2 ribs and obviously the brachial plexus injury to my right arm. I am very lucky to be alive. I have full movement in my hand but numbness in the thumb and index finger. The tricep is working, but bicep and shoulder is not. I am going to physio twice a week at present. Had the nerve conduction study done with the neurologist 2 weeks ago, c5 has no connection. Due to go back to the neurosurgeon and orthopaedic surgeons in 3 weeks time, will then know more about what lies ahead. So, just a little background info and to say that it really is good know that others have gone through and are going through what I am and that I am not quite as alone as I think I am!!!
ptrefam

Re: Hi, my name is Michelle

Post by ptrefam »

Michelle, welcome!! Sorry to hear of your accident. As you can see by the posts here you are not alone at all. Hope you can find some answers and comfort here with us.
Sue
catchatrain

Post by catchatrain »

Hi Michelle,
Nice to meet you,hate it you have to be here though.Hope everything works out for you.There are alot of people out here that are more than willing to answer any questions you may have.Good luck,keep us posted.......Marshall (catchatrain).
Wes

Post by Wes »

Hello Michelle,
Sorry to hear about your accident. My name is Wes and i had a tree cutting accident in June of 2004, i had my back broken and fuzed as well broke T5 &T6 also had a broken neck, collar bone and scapula. I have right brachial plexus c5, c6, c7 all avusled. I still have electrical shocking to my thumb and numbness to index finger. I had surgery 6 months after accident and did get my tricep and bicep back, but have no shoulder. It is a very tuff injury but hold your head up high. GOOD LUCK HOPE EVERY THING WORKS OUT FOR YOU.

Wes
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello there Michelle. I currently have injured C5 and C6 which has led to no signal to my bicep and deltoid (in right arm) but I do have tricep. The cause was a motor bike accident in March this year. I recently had surgery to see if the cause of why my bicep + deltoid are not getting any nerve signal. It seems scar tissue was blocking it so hopefully they can repair somewhat in time and I regain (some) function. For pics on my left vs right arm, you can check out http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j250/undii/

I wish you well and there are people out there with similar injury/feelings etc. My thoughts go out to you :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Also, my introductory post (in May) is at http://ubpn.org/messageboard/thread ... &tstart=45 for lots of more info :)