Bracheal Plexus Injury

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
DebilynPiper

Bracheal Plexus Injury

Post by DebilynPiper »

My husband had an accident in Oct. which resulted in a BPI. But he also had a few other injuries. He is a lumberjack and a tree fell striking his right shoulder and the right side of his head and neck. We were very lucky he wasn't killed. His shoulder was dislocated and the artery by the bracheal plexus was torn. They say the nerves are severed from the spine but we are going ahead with surgery anyway. On Feb. 19 my husband will have the nerves taken from both legs and his good shoulder to try and get the movement back to his arm and elbow. But they say the only hope for his hand is implants. The doctor is very leary about doing this surgery and he says my husband could die. He keeps stressing everything that could go wrong and very little about what could go right. Are all doctors like this or am I being paranoid. I am really scared and could use some support from others who know my fear and my husbands pain. And I think I needed to vent some anger and fear. Thanks for listening. Debi
Kristie

Re: Bracheal Plexus Injury

Post by Kristie »

Debi,
I feel for your situation! It is hard enough to go through tramatic stuff but then to have the doctor stressing the negative. I would ask the doctor if he feels comfortable doing this surgery. Tell him that although you appericate his desire for you to know the risks you also need to know if he really feels he can help your husband with this surgery. You need to know that he is confident that he can do the task at hand. I would also encourage you to post your concerns on the Tramatic BPI board and even the general board. Many people here are familiar with surgeries and can give you more advice!
Blessings,
Kristie
Missy

Post by Missy »

Debi, I'm sorry your husband was injured. He's very lucky to be alive. I'll keep him in my prayers for his surgery on the 19th. I posted your message on the Traumatic Injury board. You might want to check there for more support and direction. Good luck to you.

Missy
mom of Mitchell 7yrs, Right OBPI
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Debi, i feel for you and your husband, i've been there! sorry the surgeon is pointing out the risks of surgery, but be glad he is, not all of them are so responsible. ALL surgery carries a risk, it's just to make you aware of that i'm sure. Try not to worry too much, as you say, he's lucky to be alive. i did not have surgery and i have had a total plexus injury for 22 years now (i'm 43) and i STILL feel lucky to be alive. please mail me if you want to know about life with a bpi or just to let off some steam. You can mail anyone posting here if you click on their name. We have another guy who posts here, George, who got his bpi from a tree falling incident, i'll try and rustle him up. Good luck and best wishes, let us know how you're both going :0)
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

more info

Post by jennyb »

.....here is some general info re traumatic bracial plexus injuries (tbpi as they are called here) it's in the resources section here but a bit buried so here's a link for you...hope it works! http://ubpn.org/awareness/A2001Radultbpi.html
jennyb

Re: more info

Post by jennyb »

http://ubpn.org/awareness/A2001Radultbpi.html
hhhhm maybe that will work, i'm usually good at links :0) otherwise, go to the home page, click on the 'resources and handbook' button on the lower right of the page and then select traumatic injuries.....this info will be incorporated into the site proper in due couse but until then you hafta go digging. ok over & out, i'm sposed to be cooking dinner :0)
George

Post by George »

Hi Debi,

I am so sorry to hear that your husband was injured. I was involved in a very similar incident a little over two years ago. My injuries was not as severe as your husband's, but they were bad enough. My left shoulder was affected, with broken ribs and many abrasions. I have had no surgeries, as I was diagnosed early on as having a severe stretch of the brachial plexus. My arm was paralysed for five months, but I've had some return of function since. I also spent the majority of my time outside during work, so I do know how hard this has to be for your husband. I can fully relate. There are surgeries that can be done, and as Jenny said, there are risks. And you definately need to be aware of them. Because I've not had any surgery, I feel it may be better for someone else here, who has had surgery, to tell you their experiences and their outcomes. I wish you and your husband the best on the 19th with his surgery.

My wife and I went through the same thing you are going through only a short time ago. It is easy to be apprehensive right now, but things will settle down. I know it's hard Debi.......hang in there. This is a wonderful place to vent. There are so many great people here with varying degrees of injuries........people who will help in any way they can. We manage to have a little fun too .........it's our distraction :o)

I will e-mail you,

George
George

Post by George »

Hi Debi,

I am so sorry to hear that your husband was injured. I was involved in a very similar incident a little over two years ago. My injuries were not as severe as your husband's, but they were bad enough. My left shoulder was affected, with broken ribs and many abrasions. I have had no surgeries, as I was diagnosed early on as having a severe stretch of the brachial plexus. My arm was paralysed for five months, but I've had some return of function since. I also spent the majority of my time outside during work, so I do know how hard this has to be for your husband. I can fully relate. There are surgeries that can be done, and as Jenny said, there are risks. And you definately need to be aware of them. Because I've not had any surgery, I feel it may be better for someone else here, who has had surgery, to tell you their experiences and their outcomes. I wish you and your husband the best on the 19th with his surgery.

My wife and I went through the same thing you are going through only a short time ago. It is easy to be apprehensive right now, but things will settle down. I know it's hard Debi.......hang in there. This is a wonderful place to get information and also to vent, if need be. There are so many great people here with varying degrees of injuries........people who will help in any way they can. We manage to have a little fun too .........it's our distraction :o)

I will e-mail you,

George
George

Post by George »

See what I mean Debi ??? that was a BPI studder....(double post above) :o) My first one....and it was a doozy !!!

Just realized I can't find your e-mail address, so here is mine.

fishbob@jeffersonenergy.com

gonna try to get out of here without studdering again.......George
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hi i had an injurh with my bracial plexus i believe c3 and 4 i had surgery at stanford hospital in california im getting movement back in all parts of my shoulder and arm my doctor was confidant he is daniel kim