Posture and BPI

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
horsie

Posture and BPI

Post by horsie »

Would be interested in hearing about BPI and posture. Since injury have found that my posture is hard to correct. Lean towards the right due to injury and find it hard to straighten the right shoulder. Physio said to work at at hard to try and get posture straight, but find it very difficult at times. Exercising every day, but have to admit when I get a bout of bad pain, I tend to hunch over with the pain to try and control it. Have found that my right shoulder has drooped. Would be interested to hear how others have got on.

Regards Michael
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Posture and BPI

Post by jennyb »

Haha nearly 25 years post injury for me and I am STILL having to tell myself to keep a good posture, when I read your post I quickly corrected my shoulder which I tend to raise to carry the arm dead weight. Horse riding helps quite a bit, and once your pain diminishes you will find you aren't hunching as much.
Good luck with it!
Jen NZ
Too Much Metho

Post by Too Much Metho »

yer I'm curled up in a ball all day, but I figure your back is practically straight when youre sleeping so it all evens out in the end.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I fixed my back and shoulder as soon as I read this post and I am obpi. I have been told all my life to sit straight and hold my shoulders straight... I find if I prop my arm on an extra pillow my shoulders are more relaxed and my arm is not as heavy.
KathM
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi