Protruding scapula (shoulder blade)

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
cath

Protruding scapula (shoulder blade)

Post by cath »

Hi all!, I'm new here and just found these boards. I was diagnosed as having "bilateral brachial nuritis" about 3 years ago. I was on prozac for 3 months and underwent physical therapy for about 6 months. I regained use of my arms; however the injury caused my scapula to protrude. I asked my doctor at my last visit what caused this and he told me it was due to inflammation and said that this would eventually return to normal. That was 2 1/2 years ago and it is still protruding today. Anyone have a similar problem? Also I still have a lot of discomfort that I have learned to live with and when I bend my head down and to the opposite side of the most affected arm, it sends a painful shocking feeling to the fingers of that arm. My doctor never performed or referred me for any nerve damage tests, he only did a physical exam. Sometimes I think I should see another doctor about this. I would appreciate any advice or info from anyone with similar experiences. Thanks Cath
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Re: Protruding scapula (shoulder blade)

Post by cbe411 »

Hi Cath, I have had my BPI for almost 3 years now! I would advise you to get a second opinion. HAve you ever had an EGM or anything like that? They area not 100% accurate but what is these days, right? Winging of the scapila is common in the OBPI cases more so than with adults. Check out this thread though as it might be more helpful! http://ubpn.org/messageboard/thread ... hread=8098

COurt xo
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

cathy,
you need to have emg done because you may nerve injury still that you dont know about that has caused atrophy of the muscles, causing the "winging" of the scapula. the pain you feel when you laterally flex you head is that you are irritating the nerve. try not do that! it will regain elasticity if you approach it very slowly, in other words, dont stretch so far that you get the tingling, just stretch a tiny bit a few times every day.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have the same thing. I suggest that you get an EMG also b/c that will help them to determine what nerves you have damaged. You have a nerve that sends a message to your muscle that is supposed to be holding your scapula in and when that nerve is damaged that muscle is not receiving the proper messages and in turn does not hold your scapula in. I know this is painful and makes your arm much weaker than it should be. There is things that can be done for this and you should get a second opinion.
patata

Post by patata »

JJM,

I was wandering what things can be done for this? Just surgery or something else?

Thanks
JJM123

Post by JJM123 »

I had a nerve decompression done about 3-4 years ago and it fixed my winging completely. Though now I have injured it again and will need another decompression I am hopeful this time that the surgery will have the same results.
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

I've had a winging scapula for years and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I did bang it on a door once which was bl*dy painful, but other than that, I find it doesn't interfere with evryday life at all. After reading a few posts about it on here a while ago, I thought maybe I DID have a problem and went to see my Dr. about it. He told me that it wasn't going to get worse, and surgery would probably cause more problems than it was worth, so I never gave it another thought. It does stick out so I suppose you could say it looks a bit odd, but how I look has never worried me. I have always worn strappy tops and t-shirts (when the weather allows!) and will carry on.

Lizzy B
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

PS...I meant to add that I have a completely flail arm so the winging for me is the least of my injury. I do sympathise though with anyone who has regained function, but finds that the winging is painful or uncomfortable. Definitely get a second opinion and some diagnostic tests.

Lizzy B
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

i have the same as you.."bilateral brachial nuritis"
I feel the same way as you.i started with a sore shoulder and then after physo they did deep tissue massage on me that made me worse and i got the winging scupula..........i feel it has ruined my life and i hate the way it looks and hurts.i would like you to email me so we can try to chat about it.....my email is

wendy_purton@hotmail.com

hope to hear from you soon......this happened to me in feb this year................wendy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JJM123 ............would you please send me your email address as i really need some info on our problem......im a newbie and be very grateful for your help or advise or story.....thanxs
wendy_purton@yahoo.com