Any new Ideas after Topomax?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Salemc

Any new Ideas after Topomax?

Post by Salemc »

Hi,
I'm really at the end of my rope! 2003 may have been the worst year of my life. I suffered a severed Achilles tendon in June (12 weeks on crutches-my graduate work is in dance and I run a non-profit theatre arts organization) and I finished the year with a hysterectomy. This children’s theatre company is my life’s work, which I founded 10 years ago, and it’s on the verge of going under. I’ve been on Topomax for 18 months and it’s the last of the Bi-Polar meds to offer any hope. However, I feel so depressed right now that I’m actually thinking of “disappearing”. Over the past year (when on Topomax) I’ve pushed myself so hard that I’ve burned numerous bridges pushing everyone around me. I can’t sleep. I work 15 a day; I’m at the office at 4 AM and get home at 9 PM. Despite my efforts, I’m afraid we will have to close the doors this spring. All of this rambling is to ask these questions: Am I feeling this heart broken and unable to go on BECAUSE of the medicine or because of the overwhelming loss of this work? Is there anything new out there other than Depakote, Lithium, Tegrital?

Rachel
liza mae w.

Re: Any new Ideas after Topomax?

Post by liza mae w. »

Hi
Depakote made me cry like a baby, for real.
Lithium is like taking candy. I don't know about the other you mentioned, Have you tried lamictal? It did not work well for me, but may for you.

During your time on topomax did you experience any pain and discomfort like pressure in the left side of your neck? Feeling like the veins were constricted and making your neck hot and tender. Sometimes radiating up the back of the skull then down into your left arm some? Constant pressure, If you have felt any thing like that let me know. It is scarry the way it feels, thank you