ICan anyone relate?Please reply

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Sandi

ICan anyone relate?Please reply

Post by Sandi »

I need your help.Alittle over two years a had a work accident.Iwas crushed and have nerve damage,mainly to the axillary nerve.I can raise my arm 55 degrees,its been like this over ayear with no improvement.In January I go to the Mayo clinic in Minn.Has anyone out gone there with the same problem?Has anyone ever had a surgery to help the arm go up alittle higher?If you have any similar injury,please respond. Thanks

EllenB

Re: ICan anyone relate?Please reply

Post by EllenB »

I'm not familiar with your particular injury but I'm VERY familiar with the brachial plexus doctors at the Mayo Clinic MN. Are you meeting with Dr Bishop, Spinner and/or Shin? We call them the "miracle workers". Best of luck & keep us posted!

Ellen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sandi~
I don't know what exactly they want to do but I met with "Team" of doctors from Mayo (the same as Ellen's son John) and they want to do three muscle transfers that they feel will give me the ability to raise my arm, how high? They do not know. They have reported cases from around the world that they have patients that can raise their arms over their head. Good luck there, your seeing the best in the best doctors in world. Keep us posted on what they extactly want to do. Happy Holidays!!!!!
Kathleen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

kATHLEEN,
hOW LONG DID THEY WAIT TILL THRY DECIDED TO DO THE MUSCL TRANSFERS?i WAS TO THE mAYO CLINIC THREE TIMES,THE LAST WAS AYEAR AGO.bY THE WAY, DOES YOUR NECK HAVE ALOT OF PAIN AND ALSO ALOT OF SHOULDER/UPPER ARM PAIN?

sANDI
herff94

Post by herff94 »

Sandi~
My injury is completely different than yours. I had my injury 16 yrs ago and they STILL can do muscle transfers. They would take muscles from my back and neck and pull them over my shoulder inabling it raise up.
Pain? OH YES! I think everyone w/ this injury has some level of pain. My is worse during the winter months. I'm rare one, I take no meds for it. Which some say is stupid and others agree with me. I tried one type of med and it was expensive and I was taking 15 pills a day, no thanx! I'm starting PT again on monday for pain releif, hoping that helps.
Good luck @ Mayo, I can not say enough about that clinic. I've heard of other Dr's on the sight but I'll never leave Mayo. I believe I have had the best treatment from the Dr's there.
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year~
Kathleen