Happy and sad

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
LeeAnne

Happy and sad

Post by LeeAnne »

Well today was the last day of kindergarten for Michaela. Yesterday and today it seemed like she brought home the whole school- papers, books etc.I was going through her papers and there was one they did called all star kid and the teacher put their pictures on them. Then they had to fill it out.Here's Michaelas answers:

Favorite Sport or activity: Basketball

And the next one made me cry tears of sadness and joy. I know no other kid had this one.

Biggest Accomplishment: Raise Left arm

It hurt me that this had to be one of the most important things for her to do and thrilled me that though it's not completely normal she can do it now.

Goal for the future: Win trophy
Made me want to go out and buy her one.

Just sharing with those I know will understand! LeeAnne
Tammie

Re: Happy and sad

Post by Tammie »

It's amazing what our children write. It can break your heart when you read their words. Congratulations to your big girl! (You could get her a trophy for passing Kindergarten.)
LynND

Post by LynND »

Hi Lee Anne
I think it is great that she can raise her left arm. It means so much for them. It is the best accomplishment we can hope for. As for trophies Michaela will achieve that too. She has the gift of determination and if that is what she wants she will achieve it. Iam sure that our kids may be given disadvantages but they also have advantages because of their injuries they have to work at what they want which sets them up for life because if you want to get any where in life you have to work at it and our kids know that from an early age. Remember all the posts of others who's kids have done so well why should Michaela be any different. I look forward to the day when you post she has won a trophy I bet it isn't too far away. So don't be sad be proud because I think it is great that that is her goal. . By the way if I had a daughter she was going to be called Michaela I was given 2 sons so looks like you got my daughter look after her and love her as know you do LOL.Go Michaela
Lyn
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

LeeAnne

Take a photo of her with her left arm up... someday she will remember how important it was to her to raise it up. I understand how sweet this note is and your right we really understand. She must be feeling really proud of herself and has no idea that this is not a big deal for others. This is a very precious note and one for the scrap book along with photo. Enjoy her feelings of accomplishment

I found a photo of myself at about 4 saluting the flag. My Mom worked so hard to teach me to raise my arm so I could salute the flag... this was a big deal because my dad was away in the Merchant Marines bring the boys home from WWII and my Mom wanted him to see it. I lift with my shoulder but this photo made me smile when I found it. I remembered what a big deal it was to get my hand up to my eyebrow. Even if my fingers were still curled a bit and you can see what a struggle it was for me. I was so proud of my self because I could salute like a grownup. It did not matter yet what the other kids were doing. This photo still makes me smile and brings back fond memories not sad ones. Of course I as an adult, I see in the photo the amount of effort it took but it is still a good memory of a great accomplishment for me.

Kath
NancyP

Post by NancyP »

LeeAnne,

Kelsey and Michaela are close to the same age:) A month apart I think. Kelsey's last day of Kindergarten is tomorrow. The class wrote books about themselves and her dream is to be a ballerina. Made me smile. It amazes me how appreciative and proud they are of themselves when they accomplish things other people truely take for granted.

PS I totally understand the part about bringing the whole school home. Kelsey did too!!! We almost needed a u-haul (LOL).

Happy summer break!
Nancy
cybermomx4

Post by cybermomx4 »

LeeAnn
My son is 4 1/2 and is only in preschool. But I love to hear kids say things like this. I feel it means they appreciate every little thing they can do. I was at school the other day, one teacher was leaving so we decided to make them all(3) t-shirts with the kids hand prints on them with fabric paint. Well, my little boy never, ever makes his hand prints with his affected hand, don't know why, he never does. But this day he said,"Mom, I will use my right hand and put it right over their heart so that they will remember that I loved them." I was in shock but he did it...and I was too proud.