We're home.

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Francine_Litz

We're home.

Post by Francine_Litz »

It's been a long week. Maia is doing well tonight, although she is very ornery. Her arm is straight out to the side - first time for side and first time for straight. She had a 45 degree contracture of biceps. Dr.Nath did a 2nd caps and also went in through old mod quad incision and cleared out some of the scar tissue.

Dr. Glass was right on top of Maia's lung issues - she was on IV steroids and broncodilators the whole time. What a great doc she is. (anesthesiologist)

They also allowed Maia to bring music with her into the O.R. with headphones. So while they were working she had wonderful Enya and Reiki music playing in her ears. Read a great book about how music really helps the process. Maia DOES remember the music she listened to in the O.R. Even the anesthesiologist resident that works with Dr. Glass...boy was he nice. She had to take 3 diff kinds of meds before she went into the O.R. and this guy (don't remember his name though) he was so good with Maia.

We had fantastic nurses this time - they went beyond the call of duty especially after Maia was not the easiest kid to handle being on the steroids and all....and cleaning up all her vomit, etc. Yikes - they deserve medals.

I met some really great families down there. Gloria and her grandson Austin who had surgery today. Georgeanne and her husband Nick and Nicholas.... Tammie and Jo Jo, Rebecca and Khiron and her family, Brenda and Noah and more..... what a difference it makes to see people in the waiting rooms, in the splinting rooms, and in the hallways. So nice to visit when you had a moment "off".

I need to get some sleep.... sorry if I'm not making any sense... I'm just exhausted. Thank you for all your prayers and thoughts - all the prayers were heard - thank you God !

nite
-francine
Joy in FL

Re: We're home.

Post by Joy in FL »

Francine,

Glad you are all home safely. Ornery for a little girl just coming out of surgery could be considered a good sign! :-)

I think a good anesthesiologist is as important as the surgeon. Since I have troule with anesthesia I have long conversations with them before they even start the IV. My last surgery my doctor actually made a point after speaking with me to go back and thank the anesthesiologist for doing such a wonderful job.

Get some sleep.

Joy
Joy in FL is now living in Georgia!
Left TBI on October 31, 1991
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome Home! I had hoped to meet you, sorry I did'nt. We ended up leaving Tuesday. The Doctor and resident you are talking about were very nice. Everyone was so nice. I hope Maia is feeling better soon! There was one Nurse in the holding area, Polly, I think? She was really sweet. Megan had a baby tooth and they asked if we wanted it taken out. I was so excited just thinking YES! get it out! (Megan is fond of it even though it should have been gone a yr ago) They took it out for her and the tooth fairy left her a dollar! We found it in the recovery room with a note. Isnt that neat!!!! Well got to go.....Get some sleep, lots of it if you can.lol.
Sandi
Kathyb

Post by Kathyb »

Welcome home! we were all anxiously awaiting news i am gald that things went well. Get rest and take care kathy
Julie

Post by Julie »

Francine,

So glad that you are home and that things went well considering all that Maia went through. Take care. See you, Lou, and Maia at camp!
Allison

Post by Allison »

Glad you're all home safe and sound. Take a deep breath and give "yourself" some down time. Like I've told you before, you are a wonderful mommy and pioneer in the BPI community.
Take Care,
Allison
Tracey

Post by Tracey »

I hope this works out! Maia deserves a round of ice cream sundaes! I am not sure if it is harder on the parents or the child? You and your husband deserve some relief from all of this. I hope this surgery is the last for a while! May God be with you, your husband, and Maia during the slow recovery stage. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Tracey
marymom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Teen aged home birthed son with OBPI

Post by marymom »

((((((((((((francine and Maia and Lou)))))))))))))))))
I have heard the same thing about music, good for you!
Am glad all went well, divine order and love.