baseball gloves

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
smorgan41

baseball gloves

Post by smorgan41 »

Sammy started playing t-ball and does not want to wear a glove on either hand. He has a left BPI and I've been trying to get him to wear a right handed glove then to drop the glove before he throws. I've heard that there are special adaptive catching/throwing gloves, but have been unable to find one. He is getting frustrated and doesn't want to play. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Susan
PeggyF

Re: baseball gloves

Post by PeggyF »

My daughter does the same thing (right BPI). She doesn't want to play at all until she sees her brother playing and then trying to play catch frustrates her. She has to pull the glove off her left hand to throw the ball and then get it back on to try to catch it.
I've never heard of the adaptive glove, but if anyone knows of them, I'd be interrested too.

Peggy
karen r

Post by karen r »

I don't know about any special/adaptive gloves but I am facing the same dilemma with my 4 1/2 yr. old daughter elizabeth who'll play t-ball in June. she's Rbpi, thows left-handed. I got her a glove for her right hand, a cheapie from Walmart. It's light weight and supple, not stiff. My older 2 children played t-ball and, since hardly any of the kids ever catch a ball (except when they actually practice), I'm not too worried about how she "looks" when she doesn't catch the ball. Most of those little kids can't even stop a ground ball! I figure, in most cases, she'll just pick the ball up after she misses it and throw it with her left hand.

My son (11 yrs. old) has been practicing batting with her w/pitching. We have a t-ball stand too. I just want her familiar enough with the mechanics that she can run out there with the other kids & have a clue as to what she's supposed to do. Kids at that age are so different developmentally that she won't be the only one who is struggling. I just want her to have fun like her older siblings who play baseball.
Pam W

Post by Pam W »

My son is 10 and robpi. He has been playing ball since he was 4. It was very frustrating at first for him also. The approach we used for him at t-ball level was to catch the ball with the left hand, transfer the ball to the right hand, drop the glove, transfer the ball back to the left hand and throw. At tball there is not alot of catching going on!!

Now at 4th grade he is quite adept at transferring the ball and taking glove off under his injured arm and then throwing the ball and getting the glove back on very quickly. It was a slow learning process but it works great for John now.

The other thing we have had to use is a flexible brace for the right wrist because the bats get heavy to hold.
That also works really well. The one we got through the hand therapist is from a place in Sweden I think. I will get the correct name and post it.

I hope this helps. John was reading this over my shoulder and said "oh, tball tell him not to worry Mom he'll get it."

Have fun with the season! I remember spending alot of time at home practicing with John and trying to find what would be comfortable for him and making some changes every year.
Josh'smom

Post by Josh'smom »

Its so funny you posted this questions. My son who is 5 1/2 and started baseball last night (first practice) We tried it last year and maybe because of his age he got fustrated easy and cried easy. We didnt do it long last year---BUT this year is a whole different thing---remember we only have had one practice---He did so well last night. He has a left BPI, he wears the glove on the left (light weight cheap one because the heavier ones are too much for him). He can not supinate too well, but he can use his right hand to help the hand supinate to a good position (i hope this makes sense). I would suggest a light weight glove and let him try on both gloves (left and right) and see whats more comfortable for him. Not sure of his age, but the fustration could be because of the age--we had the same problem last year and this year he's just more mature. Good luck and have fun.
smorgan41

Post by smorgan41 »

Thanks Pam, yes, please let me know the name of the company for the wrist brace. We ended up getting him a very lightweight metal bat and he is pretty comfortable with it. The glove situation is another issue though. I love watching the t-ball practices. They are a riot! We have good coaches who make it fun for the kids. I just am hoping to not have him lose interest because his glove is too heavy or he looks different from the other kids in the way he catches or throws. He hates to have attention drawn to himself.

Thanks again.

Susan
Steve L.

Post by Steve L. »

I've played ball for years doing just that; catch ball, drop glove, throw. It takes some work but it will begin to easier.
I'm not sure of his name, but there was a young man that had no left hand at all and pitched for the U.S. olympic team and then went on to play major league ball, incredible to watch.
One small hint; loosen the cuff of the glove as much as possible (the cuff is where you slip your hand in and out), but make sure it still holds on so it dosen't slip off catching the ball. It makes a world of difference.
I played the catcher possition for years and never stuggled....much.
My Dad was my first coach and he always made me do the hard stuff knowing I had to try so much harder than everyone else. I think he was trying to teach me some "life lesson"....it may have worked.
I learned, as most BPI kids do, to never give up and never give in.
My Dad was my greatest influence and my greatest supporter. It was nice to have my own cheering section.
Good luck.
Steve L.

P.S. I almost forgot...

Post by Steve L. »

When I said "drop glove", I didn't mean I really drop it. I sorta scope the ball with my left hand (BPI hand) and stick the back of my wrist into the pocket of the glove while I drop the ball into my right hand and throw. It sounds way more difficult than it really is. The glove setting on wrist and makes it easier to slip your hand back into also.