shaving under arms

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
LisaMyers

shaving under arms

Post by LisaMyers »

Okie dokie. This seems to be a hard thing for my daughter to do on her own. Any suggestions? I was wondering if there is a shaver with a longer handle.
She uses an electric shaver and the handle is pretty long, but just not quite long enough. This is a delicate subject, ofcourse.
tcon

Re: shaving under arms

Post by tcon »

I've never done it but I have friends who wax under their arms. they swear by it. Only needs to be done about every 6 weeks.
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Lisa - just want to give you a warning about fast working Nair.... I am sitting her with burned armpits - blistered and all from 2 minutes of fast working Nair. So if your daughter wants to try one of those type of products make sure you do a patch test first! [big sigh - feeling so stupid because of this!]

-francine
Karen Hillyer

Post by Karen Hillyer »

Well I read this post and thought " wow am I glad I've got boys and don't have to worry about that problem"
at least my Gavin will be able to shave his chin with an electric razor or grow a beard.
hoping you find a solution - wondering about electroysis for permanent hair removal under that arm?
Karen
Anna G

Post by Anna G »

tricky

if you have a window sill if she pos her affected arm up that helps to open the arm up to get under, but i think it just takes practise of getting your wrist in to a position of beeing able to shave.

i wouldn't use any hair removing creams on the bpi arm cause i think the skin is more sensitive, but i did and the pain was excrucating so much that i ened up at the doctors who described it like nappie/dyper rash as i had the same kind of cream but i really understand why babies find it so painful.

Anna<
Lindsey

Post by Lindsey »

Hey
It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Using my dad's moustache trimmer worked fairly well because of the narrowness of it...it could actually fit under my arm! Usually, though, because I'm too lazy to go use that to shave, I use one of those silk effects razors with the little wires so I keep the nicks to a minimum. Talk about ouch! Nicks plus deoderant equals pain!
Oh yeah, and tell your daughter I understand how it can be an uncomfortable subject. I was soo embarrassed by my mom's reaction when she figured out we could use the electric razor. She wanted to do my other armpit too!

Lindsey

Oh, and if anyone else has any better ideas that would reduce the razor burn I seem to be so apt at producing no matter where I shave, it would be greatly appreciated.
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Count me in on this too!

I use an electric shaver --- the wall doorway what ever to hold up the right obpi arm and baby powder to keep from razor burn... it works...

Just a real pain in the pit.... lol...

Kath
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

I turn my elbow out as much as I can on the Erb arm and prop it. the good arm , I bend my wrist and swipe upwards and hope I don't cut myself and bleed to death.I still haven't figured out what to do with an itch on the back-- A wall corner works. So does a husband. Pat
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

I'm with Pat.
I use a regular razor and have found that I can shave under the unaffected arm by using that arm. It is difficult but I don't have the internal rotation to reach it with the erb's arm.
I have thought about permanent (so they say) hair removal treatments but haven't gone there.

Same problem exists in putting on deodorant, although it is not as dangerous!

Nancy
Tammie

Post by Tammie »

http://www.getalased.com/

See if they have this in your area. Once they do it, you never have to worry about it again.

That would be great to never have to shave again!