Cool Mittens, Great for BPI kids

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
stateilx3

Cool Mittens, Great for BPI kids

Post by stateilx3 »

I found the coolest pair of mittens today at Target !
They are mittens but the inside of them, they are short gloves. and then you pull the mitten out and over the gloves. The gloves part only covers up to the second knuckle. Easier to get on those BPI hands. I have a four year old and he has a terrible time with gloves, and these are thinsulate. do they will be warm. They are hard to explain, but my son has no problem getting these on his affected hand at all, because he can see where his fingers are supposed to be. Just a thought for those in the cold weather, I saw a post about gloves for our kids awhile ago. And right now they are on clearance. Got a few pair, eveysize up so that I won't have to endure this search for a few years !!!!
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Cool Mittens, Great for BPI kids

Post by jennyb »

These sound like exactly what I need, adult mittens are too big and just slip off (my lower arm/wrist are very wasted) and kids mittens are usually too small. Gloves are out of the question as I have clawed fingers. Do you think I could get these shortened fingers on a clawed hand-my fingers curve in towards the palm. If they would, I think they might stay on because of the glove bit....I've been using socks for the last 23 years, in really cold weather with a sheepskin mitten on top held on by elastic hair ties but it leaves a nasty red mark on my wrist, I'm sure if I had any feeling in my hand it would HURT!! If these mittens would stay on it would be so wonderful, we have horses and I have to go out in the cold a lot. If you think they would work for me I'll ask a friend in the US to send me some.....thanks for posting!
stateilx3

Post by stateilx3 »

Absolutely, the only time that I have ever seen these before, was my sister had them, she was a smoker and they were considered smoking gloves, because you could pull down the mitten part and just have the short fingers over your hand and part of the fingers. Try them, I think that they would work. I got my son's at Target and I honest think that they would work because my son gets his hand in there really easily. THey were about four dollars.....not bad for a good pair of gloves !
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

SMOKING MITTENS? I'm in heaven.......... :0)
stateilx3

Post by stateilx3 »

Yes, they are smoking mittens, but if my little guy starts....oh boy are they in trouble. I thought about this more and yes, you can get them on easily. Because they fingers are visible and then they pull on easily. Picture this, a pair of gloves with the fingers cut off one inch....then sew a mitten top to the glove and put velcro so the mitten top can can go over the gloves....help...hope so !!!
jennyb

Post by jennyb »

I got my Target mitten/gloves in the post this morning (THANKS TINA!) so far they are GREAT and yes I could get them on over my claw hand (took a while, that thumb just WOULDN'T go in there)...funny thing is, noone's ever mentioned the sock I normally wear on my hand, but wearing just one glove has invited questions from 3 people so far.....??? weird.....
thanks again for this post, next winter might be a bit more bearable with these :0)
stateilx3

Post by stateilx3 »

I am glad that you like your mittens...warm hands for you and my little guy !!!