Terrified!!!

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Michelle_16

Terrified!!!

Post by Michelle_16 »

Hi all! im gonna b 17 this sunday and im gonna have my 1st drivin lesson!! I know that ill manage with my arm but what if it freezes up and i crash!? lol this minte sound stupid...but im really terrified!

Any advice?! has this happend to ne1?
Kathleen M

Re: Terrified!!!

Post by Kathleen M »

Michelle

Take a deep breath! Now exhale slowly - and remember you are not going to crash or fail...

I started driving when I was 15 - could not get permit until I was 16 - but my older brother taught me to drive anyway... No one ever said I could not do it because my elbow stick out... and since I was always cold all over I did not realize how much colder my arm was... so I did not worry....

Remember you can do anything you set your mind to...
If you want to drive and you want to be a good driver you will...

Can't wait till you come back and tell us how great your first road trip was!

Kath

njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Michelle,
Learning to drive can be stressful but soon it will be so easy you won't even think about it. You can always drive an automatic car one handed, if your bpi hand and arm freeze up on you. But are you learning on a manual transmission?

Like Kathleen, I learned to drive very young and on the day of my 16th birthday was waiting at the license bureau to take and pass my test. I have always loved driving and taking road trips.

You will be fine.

Nancy
Michelle_16

Post by Michelle_16 »

Oh thank you for your experiences.
You mentioned about elbows! My elbow is very sticky out unless i pull it in (i can send you a pic thats a V good example) and that is one of the reasons im worried because i think it will keep hiddin the door!

The instructor has known my since i was small(friend of the family) so he understands and he says it should be fine.

I am goin to learn in a manual car but if i cant manage i will get lessons with BSM in an adapted car for me or an automatic!

I am dyin to drive cos im really young in my year and all my friends can drive!

I jst gonna stay calm and not panic! i seem a very nervous jumpy person, i dunno why, but i do panic alot.

Anyway! Ill tell you how it goes!

Michelle x
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

Hi Michelle!

I remember taking my driving test (1968) and the instructor asking me,"Are you a show-off or something?"
I answered, "Huh?"
He replied,"Well, you're driving with one hand, doing all these k-turns and parallell parking without both hands on the wheel!!"
I said, "Oh no! I'm not showing off. I have an injury in my left arm and can't use it too well."
The instructer then smiled at me and said,"Kid,you did that stuff great with one hand. You pass!!"
So...
Don't worry....you might impress 'em! LOL!

Good Luck,
-Stephanie
gabriele

Post by gabriele »

I learned driving when I was 25, just when I had a job and I could afford an adapted car. To me, it's impossible to change gear (my right arm does not do some of the movements) so I had to buy a car with:
automatic gear, teledispositive for turning lights, lights, washing glass and so on just like the one of the tv (but this is fixed on the driving wheel, or how do you call it).
I must say that I tried to drive with a normal car, in a safe place. It was very danegerous but it worked.
I found that driving ith an automatic car it's funny. The driving test it's easy, most difficult the theory test on paper with multiple choice (in Italy).
I'm sure you too can do it . It's a matter of keeping calm. Nothing more.
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

Michelle

I use and automatic transmission car. I never drove a stick (shift) gear car... I am right obpi so I don't think I could have...

Ops...I just realized you drive on the opposite side of the road from us here in USA ... Your steering wheel is on the right side of the car and you would have to shift with your left hand right...????

Most people here drive an automatic cars. Those who drive shift cars and cross the "pond" to visit are reminded that they will have to shift with the opposite hand.
Kath
Anna G

Post by Anna G »

too true.
i'm a scot as well and have always wondered how i would drive in america or in europe!
Anna<
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

Anna

I gather you are left bpi... I am right gets confusing when we cross the pond.
Anna the majority of cars here are automatic so it makes no difference...
In fact my daughter had to search because she wanted a stick shift.Now no one can borrow or drive her car. Generations of Americans have learned to drive using automatic... I don't know anyone who has a shift car except my daughter...

Kath
Anna G

Post by Anna G »

no i'm right bpi as it is only(i think) Britain that drives on the left.
never mind!!
Anna<