Just plain frustrated .....

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Tuckersmommy
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born At Parrish Medical Center in Titusville,Fla.After becoming stuck in the birth canal A doctor(any doctor)was paged 911.Believe it or not There was NO Obgyn on staff to preform a delivery,so a midwife and one other nurse had to deliver my son.He suffered 2 torn nerves and came out lifeless...
We see Dr.Grossman In Miami along with Dr.Price.He has had a nerve transfer in 2010,A round of botox and a recasting in 2011 and now we will having another round of botox in which we pray no cast will be needed.He is a smart handsome little boy who has come so far and everyday I feel he's improving!

Just plain frustrated .....

Post by Tuckersmommy »

I do believe I've finally reached my point where I'm going plain NUTS!!!!!!We just found out Tucker is NOT in as good as shape as we thought.He just did more botox and another casting :? For possibly no reason- a very well know PT took one look at him and can almost guarantee he still has a dislocated shoulder from birth that was never set right.I always knew something was different in his shoulder because he would thrust it so hard upwards when he'd try to reach for something almost as if it were locked.So she highly recommends us seeing DR.Nath :?: Any and all tips and feed back on him would be much obliged.
He feels he will need a triangle tilt and a mod- squad??? Surgery.And I'm unfamiliar with both.I will be going to a free clinic in palm beach,fla to c him but if surgery is needed does this mean we will have to travel to Houston Texas where he's located??? I'm completely speechless on all this now and emotionally & $ I don't know what more we can take.So any feedback on these surgeries & dr nath and dr grossman will help tons....
Thanks to you all & keep the faith
Life is a dance~We will all learn it as we go
katep

Re: Just plain frustrated .....

Post by katep »

Claiming he "still has a dislocated shoulder from birth" is ridiculous. He probably has major glenohumeral dysplasia (malformed shoulder joint) which Dr. Nath has NOT SHOWN is remedied by any of his surgeries. Furthermore, I'm quite sure Dr. Price and Dr. Grossman are more than capable of diagnosing shoulder subluxation in relation to this injury.

Are you aware the Texas Medical Board has filed multiple complaints against Dr. Nath. A trial is set for his case on June 26, 2012 according to Houston Chronicle writer Rick Casey. Three of those complaints are up on the website for public viewing at reg.tmb.state.tx.us

Furthermore, extensive information came out in a defamation lawsuit filed by Dr. Nath against Baylor, TCH, Dr. Shenaq and others where the court found there to be no defamation because the accusations by above were shown to be SUBSTANTIALLY TRUE. Dr. Nath was sanctioned over 1.3 million dollars by the course for, among other things, bringing his suit "in bad faith and for an improper purpose". You can view the pages and pages of documents developed during that court case at http://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/eDocs/Public/Search.aspx with the docket number 200610826 (TCH part) and 200610826A (Baylor part). You have to set up an account to view the docs online. You can also read the summary in the Houston Chronicle http://www.chron.com/news/casey/article ... 080830.php .

The investigations resulting from Baylor and TCH's defense of these lawsuits form the basis for the new complaints by the Texas Medical Board. Part of the information, including evidence provided by Dr. Nath himself of his billing practices, show just how incredibly lucrative brachial plexus surgery can be.

The above are statements of fact, and as such are protected by all statutes as well as the First Amendment.

And this is my opinion, which I am also entitled to according to the First Amendment: the documents developed in these cases show the EXTREME influence of massive amounts of money on the behavior of the doctors involved. Undisputed documents clarified the profit-sharing plans which existed at the brachial plexus clinic at TCH which provided for millions of dollars each year to Dr. Nath and Dr. Shenaq. The money involved, in my opinion, provided more than ample motivation for the unethical conduct discussed in the court documents. I do not know for a fact if similar arrangements are in place between Dr. Nath and any "well known" PTs sending him business. But after reading nearly all the documents available on these cases, I would not be at all surprised if that were the case.

I urge you to report to your current doctors what was told to you about your son's shoulder, and if you are still concerned, to get a third opinion.

Kate
Tuckersmommy
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born At Parrish Medical Center in Titusville,Fla.After becoming stuck in the birth canal A doctor(any doctor)was paged 911.Believe it or not There was NO Obgyn on staff to preform a delivery,so a midwife and one other nurse had to deliver my son.He suffered 2 torn nerves and came out lifeless...
We see Dr.Grossman In Miami along with Dr.Price.He has had a nerve transfer in 2010,A round of botox and a recasting in 2011 and now we will having another round of botox in which we pray no cast will be needed.He is a smart handsome little boy who has come so far and everyday I feel he's improving!

Post by Tuckersmommy »

Thank you...that's the kind of info I'm looking for,I love Dr Grossman & found it hard to believe he would have over looked something so major.I'm going to continue to keep doing research on dr nath as well.I see dr grossman next week & wondered if I should discuss this w/ him or not & I do believe its best we do.Thanks so much for your input it helps a ton
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi :D
My birth erbs injury in the 50" also included a fractured scapula and elbow, Thanks Doc :shock:Sure enough were not set right.
Amazing what you can do in life in-spite of the limitation left :D
I still hate finding that right doctor in time is so hard a quest, Finally finding a doctor and finding legal issues with them :roll: :shock: Tick me off to.
I am here to see if something I can help in adapting issues???? I have life long experience in trying ;) :D If I can offer this maybe it will help for the other than doctor help :roll: ???? :shock:
One of the best thing thow, I remember a great Mom all ways trying to find help for me :D , That Lady Had GUTS!!!!! :D
Happy Ester ;)
Tom
Tuckersmommy

Post by Tuckersmommy »

happy easter to u as well Tom and thank you so much for your reply.My son is almost 3 and my gosh is he a trooper :D He amazes me daily how tough he is and how he doesn't seem to slow down a minute despite his injury.He has come so far this past 2 years after his nerve graft & I do believe i have dr.Grossman to thank for that.He has great hand & finger movement his wrist is just fine as well.The only problem now is something going on his his shoulder,Its as if its locked somehow so now were on a quest to see what can be done,Yikes its hard seeing him be put thru this just hoping if he were say...18 its a choice he'd chose to make as well :roll: I will continue to be the mom i need to be to get him thru this ...he is my angel and a true gift from above.Did u have any surgical procedures??? U can email me if you'd like...Take care
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Oh in the 50s :roll: My mom took me all over till I was 10 :shock: There was no surgery for My Birth erbs :evil: Nothing , The Doctors said just Live with It, OKK????? Drove Semi for 25 years,Was a biker and became a PADI master dive :D This is how my Mom look when I start doing these thing :shock: :roll: . Before she past she told me she wish she could of done more??? I just told her, was you did encourage me to try and I reminder her of what I was doing basically one arm :shock: :D She just look at me still like this :shock: Regrets 000000 ;) ;) :D

TODAY there are many thing that can be done for these injuries ;) :D :D , Finding the right one to help the limitation is a QUest in Time :shock: :roll: I think :roll: there is time sensitive on all these injuries at birth or injuries later ;) That said If it not a time issue then you will have time to find the Right :roll: Doc that will increase range. Because of post I have seen, You really need a lot of time to find that doctor to move forward :roll: You need a break between the ordeal of finding the first doctor because of Time issues :evil: :twisted: It is a huge Quest for sure.
One fact, I have learn when I was little the more I was allowed to try the more things I learn to adapt to with out Treatment surgery , no nothing :shock: Good mom help me to adapt best i could :roll: :D . I am So Happy when post say I found a doctor ,It work out ;) :D I am so glad when you can find help today?? :shock: maybe ;)
Best Trys :roll: :shock: :D
I think :roll: Frustration comes in 2 ways trying to adapt to limitation and the frustration of parents Trying to find the right help :shock: Joy happen, as you read post here and by doing so you might find a direction for help ;) Its more than Hope it is by experience from post. That Great!!! :D
Tom
RaisingCropsandBabys

Post by RaisingCropsandBabys »

I would talk to Dr. Grossman about your thoughts/concerns. He will probably recommend you get a second opinion at another BP Center (Cincy, Philly, Boston). BP doctors have no problem referring you to another respected and knowledgable care provider for second opinions. I urge you to definitely do your research on Dr. Nath before making a decision to see him...

My son had the muscle transfer/tendon releases as a toddler (at Cincinnati Children's BP Center) and it DEFINITELY improved his range of motion and seemed to slow down his shoulder joint deformity though there is no cure for that. He compensated much less with his back after it.

Email me if you want to talk more.
katep

Post by katep »

FYI, Dr. Grossman was actually our THIRD opinion on Joshua's shoulder when we were considering the anterior capsule release for him at 14 months old. Dr. Grossman agreed to look at the MRI scans of Joshua's shoulder, and concurred with Dr. Kozin and Dr. Waters that he needed the shoulder surgery. He even reassured us about our decision to go with Dr. Kozin!

Kate
hpuente

Post by hpuente »

Please, seriously reconsider taking your child to Dr. Nath. We contacted him about setting up an appointment for my grandson. His office asked us to send him a video of my grandson, which we did. A few days later, his office called us, not to schedule an appointment, but to schedule surgery, without even seeing my grandson to evaluate him ! We had heard stories about Dr. Nath performing a great deal of unnecessary surgeries on children that harmed them more than helped them and, after our experience with him, I'm more inclined to believe them. Good luck.
Tuckersmommy

Post by Tuckersmommy »

Thanks y'all...we did lots of research and I'm sure lots of people Love Dr Nath but we don't feel he's right for us.And I'm putting as nicely as I can without offending anyone :?
It pays to google & listen to ALL feed back! We c Dr Price next week to discuss MRI results.They believe it's a growth plate fracture of some sort & can be fixed with a simile surgery.I can't begin to tell everyone the improvement we have seen this week.Aprx A month and a 1/2 after botox #2 it's a blessing & I wish I could post pictures :D