taking my arm off

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
bjennings
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C5 thru T1 avulsed on 3/17/2011 in a motorcycle accident.

follow me on instagram @bjennings276

taking my arm off

Post by bjennings »

just wondering what you guys think. so i had surgery in september, C7 and T1 are both avulsed (spell?) and C5 & C6 are attached but the dont work at all, they tested it right up to my spinal cord and it didnt respond. they said theres folicles in there and if they are messed up then theres nothing they can do. he said they can cut open my spine and try to go in and reconnect some stuff but the operation is risky and it doesnt really work. they pretty much said i wont get my arm back. i cant feel most of my arm only a little but of my backarm and inside of my arm about halfway to my elbow.
Then!! i was BBQin and i butrned my hand pretty good didnt know till later, went back to talk to a doctor and he said i cant do that cuz it could get infected and then my life is at risk. i live a pretty active lifestyle and i asked him what if i break it? he said same thing i have to chill i said ur out of ur mind dude. lol jk i just said no way. so he said that I can have it removed if i want. at the time i thought thats a great idea cuz im tired of carrying this thing around all the time i hate wearing a sling. i just want to go back to doing the stuff i used to.
so i was wondering if people do this or what you guys think of it.

my injury was on march 17th 2011
i cant feel or move it at all
im 22

oh and winter is coming up, anybody ski or snowboard in tahoe? i have a pass to squaw if anybody wants to hook up.
bjennings
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C5 thru T1 avulsed on 3/17/2011 in a motorcycle accident.

Re: taking my arm off

Post by bjennings »

and i went to UCSF hospital in san francisco. Dr. Barbaro
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Hi, I think you still to early to think on take it out so first I will suggest to contact the people at Mayo clinic for a evaluation because they are the must expirience, from my point of viwe. There are different procedures that can help your arm, like you I am a very active and when I had my accident I had the same toughts, and I still have them some times, but life keeps going and either way you will do fine.

I will be going to Mammoth first week of April for sure and also some time in February, I do Snowboard and Dan and Chris Ski so if we organize a trip will let you know and thanks for the invitation.

Saludos
Fernando
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

This is one I think about alot,I'm 1yr and 2mon. post injury and 8months post surgery that is supposed to give me elbow flexion but nothing so far.I think alot of that decision obviously depends on how much function you still have or may get back.All I have is some finger and hand function which is useful but very limited.Your very young and in another 20yrs there will probably be some cool robotic replacement arm,like the one Will Smith had in I-Robot.I feel the same way about carrying my arm around in a sling and it seems like getting rid of it would free the rest of my body up from the dead weight so if it can't be fixed what good does it do to keep it? I haven't come to that decision myself but it is always an option.Good luck.
gooftwo
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: c4,5,6,7 and t1 all avulsed,no left arm movement and fingers twich but no control.Had left arm removed at the shoulder.

Post by gooftwo »

Hi guys I had my arm removed I don't regret it at all.That said it's still not perfect still have alot of the pain I had before but I don't have the pain from it pulling on me.Showers are better,sleeping is better and there is alot more elbow room on my side of the tabel when we go out to dinner.You have to make that call thought.Had my arm removed and only missed two weeks of work so the pain of haveing it removed is nothing your not use to already.Good luck hope everthing works out for you both
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

This topic DRIVES ME Crazy :shock: Oh My GOD :o Just because a doctor Now says they cant help does not mean another may help you as post state here and possible direction. If a doctor cant help then they could give you the name of another doctor that treats BPI and your injuries. I know this happens by post here , you just need to find direction and find a new doctor that will help your injuries :roll: If you have your arm cut off it will be forever :shock: Other wise it will be finding the right doctor or the next treatment that can help your injuries, but I know this will seem like four-ever and a life long QUEST, for sure :roll: Fore ever for a lifetime with Birth erbs and I never heard of any treatment or surgery till I found this Sight and found That some doctor could of told me about treatment or surgeries :roll: When I was 10 they told me just live with it :evil: So I never ask a doctor ever again, I did what I could to adapt to with only simple grasp and a 4 inch left other wise Erbs gave me a dead arm. I did so much with so little and you can see how many people here have done so much in spite of there limitations if you want to find a way to do something you can adapt to just study a activity and ask that person or persons who do it . I hate the dead weight on my shoulder , but a prostatic arm and hand have dead weight on a shoulder to :roll: What I say is back up by others post here and not just Hope its back up by others who REALLY CARE and will try to help ;) Like me ;) I HOPE this helps, I know our injuries are alike to a point but different to for sure???? So are the vast things that can be done today and in the future as I found out here over time but finding a path seems like a impossible to find.Maybe its all about how to adapt in time to find activities, that you can find away to do, ITs Real, and over time it happens to all of us to find a way to find Joy in what we can overcome in spite of the limitation were left with in our life time ????? ;) :D
Tom
bjennings

Post by bjennings »

@armstrong "20yrs there will probably be some cool robotic replacement arm,like the one Will Smith had in I-Robot" dude you took the words right outta my mouth lol thats what we need lol

@master DIVER tom I hear were your coming from also, and you guys are right im prbly acting to fast, but ive always been a spotaneous impulsive person, so i should prbly just relax. idk its just a question i thought id run by everybody here. its crazy the decisions im faced with now lol

and it would definately depend on the progress ive made but i havent made any progress since i got out of the hospital, and you were saying go to a doctor that can help but idk if id really be comfortable having a doctor work on my spinal chord. i was really close to breaking my neck so i feel like im really lucky to have just this arm messed up, so i really wanna risk more? Hell no lol :mrgreen:
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

Yeah Bjennings wouldn't that I-Robot arm be the coolest! I have 2 avulsed nerves and I fractured my everything T-1 thru T-10,neck and back which healed fine obviously the arm got the worse.I think you could still have a chance of getting something back since the majority of your injury is a stretch plus your age and your determined attitude,my thinking is as long as you have the arm theres still that chance but like Tom said once it's gone it' gone.So if I was you I'd probably give some more time before making such a final decision and as far as not having the spinal surgery I feel you I'd rather just let my body try to heal itself,so once again good luck and like you said it could have been worse,I just saw a kid on the news,13yrs old,football accident,paralyzed from the neck down...I hate to hear those kind of stories but it does make you reflect.Take care.
Master DIVER TOM

Good news , when we say we know how you fell, We really DO here. ;) :D It does not get any better than this. always trying to lend a hand :shock: ;) :D
Tom
Master DIVER TOM

Ok so I will add this :shock: :roll:
Today they can add someone else hand to a amputation arm:Fact
Today They have started making noses and ears in a dish and organs:FACT
Some day we will just be like star fish :shock: You live in the best time to gain more in your life time and in the future. If you fell bad this sight is awesome to improve your OUTLOOK :D
Mr Positive,
Tom