Back again after a long time...competitive sport

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
karleeng
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Mother of 13yo Ling, adopted from China at age 3.5yo. ROBPI

Back again after a long time...competitive sport

Post by karleeng »

Hello everyone,
I used to visit here frequently some years ago but have been absent for a long time. My name is Karleen, I live in Australia and my 13yo daughter has ROBPI. I've come again because I'm hoping that some of you might have some insight into competitive sports and BPI. Ling is a swimmer. She has S9, SB9, SM9 classifications for swimming and is hoping that she will get good enough to be able to compete internationally. At this point she trains 4x a week but her ability to improve is hampered by her inability to swim in squads which are faster but have the type of training she needs for higher level competition. She swam at the nationals a few weeks ago and had to be reclassified and the physio who assisted gave us such useful info on technique after spending only a few minutes watching her swim that we realised that we need more help for her and/or her coaches. Is there anyone here who has BTDT with BPI and swimming who might be able to help???
Adding to the mix, today we attended a Paralympic talent assessment day and they suggested that she explore athletic (javelin/shot put). This is something that we have never thought of. Anyone with experience in that area??
Karleen
marymom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Teen aged home birthed son with OBPI

Re: Back again after a long time...competitive sport

Post by marymom »

Heyyyy karlene, Mary with Max here- absolutely no insight to your swimming questions- Just wanted to say hey!