Hi! I'm new and I need help!

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Klioris
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Brachial Plexitis since birth due to doctors pulling on my neck and shoulders because occurance of Shoulder Dystocia, during the pulling my shouldr also have been dislocated from the socket. I was born in Russia in 1991 so there was not even word about any surgery. I also have Scaliosis and Osteochondrosis as side occurances and a very bad immunity. On the begining my arm was fully paralised with the exception of hand and fingers, but on the third month I began to be able to move it, after 19 years I have almost fully recovered due to many years of visiting various rehabs, and I can almost full amplitude movement, tho I still have the famous innability of moving my arm outwards as if swinging tennis racket and I can't put my hand behind my head without help of left arm, and I still can't lift heavy weights and my hand starts trembling even if the thing I'm holding is merely a cup of tea.
I've never had any surgery done.

Hi! I'm new and I need help!

Post by Klioris »

Hello,

I'm nineteen years old and I have BPI since birth. I have almost fully recovered and I have almost full amplitude of movement with the exception of classic outwards position (as if swinging tennis rocket) and I can't put my hand behind my head without help of my left hand. It's also difficult to lift heavy weight higher then elbow level and when I carry something in my hand it start to tremble.
I want to know if it's still possible to have a Nerve Repair surgery at this age or am I considered to old for that? Any kind of information would be of a great help! Thank you!!
bpiparent
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter born 5/10, avulsion, tearing and stretching, 1st surgery 9/10.

Re: Hi! I'm new and I need help!

Post by bpiparent »

I do not think that you can have nerve surgery at this time but I am pretty sure that you can have tendon transfers. Where do you live? There are several Dr's that can give you an evaluation. Start with a neurologist or orthopedic surgeon.

Anybody else know of Dr's for adults I am pretty informed about childrens Dr's but not adults.