Older Children/Speech Delays

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Elisa

Older Children/Speech Delays

Post by Elisa »

Recently found out our son is 50-60% delayed in speech (always something new thrown your way). It seems like so many of my BPI friends children are also struggling with delays. Wondering if any of you know if this usually is something that our children catch up on by a certain age? And if so, do you know around what age? Do many of these children still lag behind in speech and expressive language throughout elementary school, etc.? Thanks for any input!
francine

Re: Older Children/Speech Delays

Post by francine »

Elisa- just the other day Maia went for her speech evaluation. We have been told by many that she was speech delayed or deficient..whatever that means.

It was a VERY interesting meeting- set of tests,etc. I was amazed at how Maia responded and how good she was and that it caught her attention, too. The therapist was very sweet.

So I have a list of sounds and ages - the speech developmental chart and I will get it on a page for you so that you and others can see it. We learned that the sounds that Maia was having a problem with don't get perfected until she is 9-10 years old. We also learned that she had a lateral lisp which is not corrected in therapy until she will have her full set of adult teeth in.

I'll try to get that sheet up sometime later today or tonight - I think it will help you figure things out.

-francine
sunflowers

Post by sunflowers »

we were lucky on this, while his speech was delayed....he didn't talk at all when he did it was with full word and sentences... We have other delays and developmental issue.My son is ten and we struggle with emotional mental imaturity and ADHD with depressive moods and anxiety... They say due to oxygen dep. at birth. He's 10... do any others out there have these other problems when they are older?
francine

AGE APPROPRIATE SOUNDS AND ERRORS

Post by francine »

AGE 3: can produce most vowels and P BM D N W incombination with vowels. Errors are common.

AGE 4: P B M NH W D (at beginning,middle and end of word. Errors uncommon.

AGE 5: K G F T Errors: t for k, d for g, b for f,d for t, s for f

AGE 6: NG Y V Errors: n for ng, b for v

AGE 7: L Errors: Y or W for L in the beginning and middle of words (yight for light, piwow for pillow) D for L in the middle of words. L at the end of wordsis often ommitted.

AGE 8-9: TH S Z R SH CH J Errors: f or d for th, th for s and z, W for r in the beginning and middle of words, R atthe end of words is omitted or distorted. S or th for sh. SH CH and J may be distorted. S for sh, S for ch, SH for CH and CH for SH.
CW1992

Post by CW1992 »

Thanks Francine for the list - I had forgotten the time frames of sounds. Brittney is 10 and still taking speech at school. She started speech when she was four. Speech problems vary so much and also genetics can play a part too. Both of my sister in laws are speech pathologists. Although Britt's speech vocabulary has always been advanced - she has a hard time making the sounds right. She has a hard time saying "speech class" without getting us wet - but it's alot better than it used to be. It could be a combination of weak tongue muscles, the way the teeth are positioned, all sorts of possible reasons for speech problems. There for a while we were told we need to strengthen Britt's tongue muscle and she should drink as much as possible thru straws. It helped! This will be the last year of speech for Brittney. She's almost mastered her "ch", "th", "s", and so on - except when she's excited to tell you something and then she'll spit all over you!:) In our case I do not think that her injury has anything to do with her speech - seems to run on my husbands side of the family. I hope this helps.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here's a good site. Beware of being too rigid in interpretation of the speech milestones, children differ very widely. http://members.tripod.com/Caroline_Bowen/devel1.htm
Beaglemom

Post by Beaglemom »

Stephanie is also in speech class. I had always though it was because my children are so close in age and didn't get to play with other children. Stephanie was stuck for ever and was gray when she did finally emerge into this world. She did not take her first birth for over 3 minutes. She is in 3rd grade and this is her 4th year of speech. This would make an interesting study.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP for Solsom.

Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
solson

Post by solson »

thanks Carolyn.

Its such a tricky thing to understand. I find it fascinating that I have mentioned my DD's speech issue to the ped so many times but it took her BPI OT to finally get someone to eval her...without me ever saying a word!