OT tips

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Andy S

OT tips

Post by Andy S »

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share some OT tips that I use with my daughter. Maybe others can share some of their tips.

During meal times Lily (1 year old) naturally wants to use her non BPI arm for finger foods. Over the last couple months I have been encouraging her to use her BPI arm. At first she had a hard time picking up the piece of food now over months of practice she can pick up the food easily. She also lifts her arm up as far as she can. She cannot bring it up to her mouth but with more practice I think she will. I have seen lots of improvement ,its amazing how far she can move her arm when she is not paying attention. Sometimes I will have her reach for the food and she will go further then she knows she can... if that makes sense. We have also been encouraging her to use her BPI arm to help drink from her cup.
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: OT tips

Post by jmar »

i am really happy that your daughter is doing better. here is a tip i used for my own injury.
excercise is the BEST recovery method there is. when you are in pain from bpi excercise excercise excercise and the pain will lessen considerably.

when i first started weighted excercises, i could not hold the dumbell. instead of buying a wrist wieght to put on my hand, i put the dumbell in the toe of a long sock and then put the open end of a sock over the end of the dumbell, creating a circle that i could put my hand in. it was tight enough to stay on (and not crush my toes when i dropped it) but yet loose enough to make my hand react as though it was falling off. it was better than a wrist weight in that i used the natural reflex when it felt like it is going to fall off. i can hold it now for very short periods of time but i still keep my toes out of the way.