What sports do you/have you done?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

What sports do you/have you done?

Post by marieke »

I thought it might be fun to have this thread, sort of like our "what jobs have you done".

Swimming
Roller blade
Ballet
Competitive figure skating

Sailing
Kayaking

The sailing and kayaking I have done both "normally" and adapted (I was paralyzed in 2004)

Marieke 33, LOBPI and Transverse Myelitis @T1 in 2004
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
icesideprophet
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Re: What sports do you/have you done?

Post by icesideprophet »

softball
basketball
soccer
I have played them all since I was 5 and played on several school/club teams.
I really enjoyed playing sports and I think it helped me learn to adapt with my injured arm.

Jackie, 19, ROBPI
Mare

Post by Mare »

Frankie has done baseball,
soccer,
karate,
swimming,
bike riding
horseback riding
rollerblading,
skateboarding and now paintball
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Bowling
Swiming
Bike Riding
Horseback Riding

Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Chris88
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI C5 to C7
No operations to this point.

Post by Chris88 »

Basketball
Football
Baseball
Track
Tennis
Racquetball
Bowling
Horseback Riding
Kayaking
I also took a Mountaineering class as an elective PE in college. It taught the basics of mountain climbing and rappelling.

Chris 39LOBPI
"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do the best of which you are capable."
Coach John Wooden