Hello!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
lynk

Hello!

Post by lynk »

Hi, my name is Lyn, I'm a 19 year old college student with Erb's Palsy. I actually came across this website while hunting for scholarships. I've been hunting on and off for a resource for people with brachial plexus injuries, as opposed to just the parents of kids with brachial plexus injuries. This was especially important to me considering I have met exactly one other person with BPI (guy I went to high school with, but we never really talked). Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Hello!

Post by marieke »

Hi Lyn,
Welcome! If you go to the message board for BPI adults here you will find others like you.
http://ubpn.org/messageboard/forum.jspa?forumID=19

Feel free to post and ask any questions you have, we are here to help!

Marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Hi Lyn, & welcome! You may also wish to know to type "Scholarships" (without the quotes) or ANY word or phrase in the SEARCH FORUMS box/link at the to of any page and all of the posts on that subject will come up for you.

Also, Department/Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR/BVR) provides Tuition money to persons with disabilities,OBPI's[Erb's Palsy] and TBPI's qualify; however each State distributes the FEDERAL FUNDS differently. Each city has an office in your Regional State office Bldg.

Good Luck & let us know how $$ comes to you.
Keep coming here...we like questions!! ;)
Carolyn J
LOBPI/71 [BA paid for by DVR]
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
lynk

Post by lynk »

Thanks! I'll look into that.