Awareness Video

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Awareness Video

Post by mamaofsix »

I would like to thank everyone that submitted photos for our awareness video that was played at our benefit dinner last weekend. Out of the photos/stories received, we used 4 to go along with ours. We hope that this video will help spread the awareness about these injuries. You can view it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efjJZWNQyMw

The benefit dinner was a success. I am very pleased with the response and the amount of people we were able to reach to spread the awareness about these injuries!! We will be having our 2nd Annual BPI Family & Friends Picnic in October to kick off BPI Awareness Week. This will be a free event. More details to come!!
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Awareness Video

Post by marieke »

Looks great! Glad that I could help!
marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

Thanks Marieke!!!!!!
OPHERSMOM

Post by OPHERSMOM »

I have not cried that much in soooo... long. To see all of these poor children affected by this. I posted this on my facebook for everyone I know to see because I don't feel that people quite understand. All they tell me is how he looks like there's nothing even wrong with him. That should make me happy, right? I feel like they have no idea. I'm just grateful that my son is healthy otherwise and for the most part, happy. He's been a miracle in this. Gone from no movement at all to where he's at now. It's the unexpected. What a wonderful job!
jill's mom

Post by jill's mom »

Thanks for sharing. It is nice to know that there is a community of people who understand what we have been through so we can support each other and share ideas.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Wonderful video!! this sure will help parents explain to family members and others a child's "Injury Journey".

I am soooo happy your fund raiser was a success!

Hugs all around,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/adult/71
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Janet&joseph

Post by Janet&joseph »

Nice. Is there like one of those awareness ribbons for EP? If not, I'm a graphic designer and would love to make one.
marieke
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Janet, if you looks here: http://ubpn.org/
scroll down and look on the right side. There under Awareness you will see UBPN Store (not the Amazon one) and you can see what they have. There are ribbons there :)

Marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
Janet&joseph

Post by Janet&joseph »

marieke , Thanks !!

I meant more digital so I can put it on my web page. Is it silver?
marieke

Post by marieke »

LOL.. ah!

Yes I think it is supposed to be silver.. you could add blue in there too I should think, as our awareness bracelets are blue :)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI