Ilizarov Fixator

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
StephanieP

Ilizarov Fixator

Post by StephanieP »

Hello, it's been years since I've been here and I need your support! My 13 year old daughter Savannah is going to be having the bone lengthening surgery with Dr Guggenheim. We meet him this Wednesday. She was injured in a car accident when she was 4. Her bpi arm is quite a bit smaller, and her use is limited. Dr Nath advises she will need it on both the upper and lower arm.
She is very nervous about the surgery and the impact it will have in sports. We would love to be able to see some pictures of those wearing the device and any before/after pictures.
Some questions :
1.Do you think she will be able to run with the device on, after the initial "Installation?" she plays soccer, and I am hoping that she can still practice with her team with the running, shooting, etc, avoiding the contact portion.
2. On average, how long is it worn?
3. How often did you have to travel for check ups?
4. Pain - I have heard it is minimal, but it sounds like it would have to be!
5. Problems - have any of you had any problems? Would you do it again?
Sorry to ask so many questions. I am trying everything to make Savannah more comfortable with this. The decision has been heart wrenching, as I am sure it is for all of you who have had to make the decision.
THanks in advance so much for helping. You can email me directly at stephanieprince@cox.net
Stephanie
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Ilizarov Fixator

Post by marieke »

I had 2 friends who had this done and they were NOT allowed to do any sports for fear of falling, tripping and damaging it further. I somehow doubt that your daughter will be allowed to run with it at all, kicking the ball for practice while standing still maybe. Don't forget the bone is very fragile while it is in the fixator as it is a "broken" bone. I also saw patients with it while I was in my pediatrics rotation, and they were not to do gym/sports at all.

The length of time depends on how many inches she needs. One inch takes one month.

Infection is what you have to be on the lookout for, you must keep it clean at all times.

For pics you can google for some, there are plenty on the net if you don't get any repsonse here.

Pain is minimal, Tylenol usually takes care of the ache they may feel.
Marieke 33, LOBPI
RN
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com