has anyone qualified for disability because of bpi?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
msjdgal

has anyone qualified for disability because of bpi?

Post by msjdgal »

my son was told to file for social security disability because of his injuries - upcoming surgery 2/26/09 at mayo, etc. SS called me today and said they deny unless you have loss of use of 2 limbs - would like to know if anyone has received benefits
thanks shelly
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Re: has anyone qualified for disability because of bpi?

Post by RobertRacer »

I was told the same. They denied me as they do just about everyone the first time out. I saw the two limb thing too but they say don't let that deter you from applying because you might still qualify. I appealed and got a letter saying they'd notify me of a hearing. They drag it out. It's been 17 months and I'm still waiting for the hearing.
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Hello I was awarded SSD, However it was a long drug out proccess. I was denied my first time witch I'm told is the normal. So I applied again this time with an attorney, and they still drug it out 23 months, but I was awarded SSD, after the hearing. They want you to fight for it, they certainally don't make it easy for you. They just don't have a clue on their codes for disability when it comes to this type of injury. They are getting better today about knowing this injury we all share on here.

Wes
msjdgal

Post by msjdgal »

thank you for the responses - appreciate all the information i have received and am thankful for all that i am learning from this board shelly
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

I'm one of the lucky ones, if you call anything about this plight lucky in any sense, anyway I'm one of the lucky ones as far as SSI goes. First time around I was approved. Maybe the fact that I applied when I was in the hospital and my OT therapist actually filled out the original paperwork influenced them on their judgement.
I had my interview over the phone with the phone laid on the pillow next to my head. I really don't know what motivated them. Could also have been the history of a fractured hip, pelvis, femur, patella, shoulder, ribs or wrists. Don't stand next to me in a thunder storm.
I do know this, once approved my status was prorated to the original date that I applied and they felt obligated to pay me in full. It was a tidy sum but as far as my condition goes no amount of money could help.
I wish everyone had the same return
s8n

Post by s8n »

i haven't yet but i will be getting my hearing within the next month. i really hope they give it to me as if they don't my family will be looking down the barrel of homelessness. my loving fiance has been supporting her children,herself,and i since my motorcycle wreck but the way things are i don't think she can kep it up much longer. i'm hoping to get disability so as to get some sort of normalcey and marry her. and i hope one day that this pain gets managable so i can try to find a new niche in life. i have always worked with my hands in work and play. i was an artist and a fixer. but now life has decided that i find something new. i'm keeping my fingers crossed for disability though as i will need it to get anywhere at this point.
daniel
misery101

Post by misery101 »

I too consider myself one of the lucky ones as far as ssi is concerned was denied the first time. then i filed reconsideration and contacted my congreeman and was approved. there is a clause in ssi when you just have one arm. Because over use of your good arm will result in tendonitis or corpal tunnel this will render use of good arm. I suggest contacting your congressman and explain your injury before hiring lawyer. Lawyers delay the process so they get bigger chunk of your money..good luck and God bless
misery101

Post by misery101 »

I too consider myself one of the lucky ones as far as ssi is concerned was denied the first time. then i filed reconsideration and contacted my congreeman and was approved. there is a clause in ssi when you just have one arm. Because over use of your good arm will result in tendonitis or corpal tunnel this will render use of good arm. I suggest contacting your congressman and explain your injury before hiring lawyer. Lawyers delay the process so they get bigger chunk of your money..good luck and God bless
herff94

Post by herff94 »

I am just now applying but I wonder is there a time frame to get benefits. I want to go back to college and I want to receive aid to pay for school; not live on. I have contacted a lawyer that specializes in this area but I yet to get a hold of her. I am wondering if its too late but you'd think its never too late. I am older and things hurt more for me and now is the time I need it the most. Anyone?
Kath
herff94

Post by herff94 »

I spoke to SS and they told me I didn't work enough when the accident happen to entitle me benefits. My accident happened when I was 17 and at the time I was working at a bank before college (which I never made it to) but I continued to work while I had surgeries so I had insurance. I'm pretty mad. They said if my accident happened when I was younger my parents would pay from their SS or I could collect SS welfare; what the hell does that mean? I'm sure my husband makes too much but we are so stretched and we have no extra $$$ for me to finally to go to college; 21 yrs later. It doesn't seem fair does it?
Kath