Neurons Derived From Embryonic Stem Cells Restore Muscle Function After Inj

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Neurons Derived From Embryonic Stem Cells Restore Muscle Function After Inj

Post by Christopher »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 174716.htm
-------------------------------------------------------------
Neurons Derived From Embryonic Stem Cells Restore Muscle Function After Injury

ScienceDaily (Nov. 20, 2008) —

Dalhousie Medical School researchers have discovered that embryonic stem cells may play a critical role in helping people with nerve damage and motor neuron diseases, such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), regain muscular strength.

Motor neurons reside in the spinal cord and control limb movements by enabling muscles to contract. Diseases like ALS cause them to degenerate, resulting in muscle weakness, atrophy, and eventual paralysis.

“This study builds on a series of studies in which we demonstrated that motor neurons can be generated from mouse embryonic stem cells,” says Dr. Victor Rafuse, associate professor of anatomy & neurobiology. “It’s very exciting that these neurons can be used for transplantation to prevent degeneration of muscle.”

The research team used embryonic stem cells from mice to grow motor neurons in the laboratory. They then transplanted the neurons into mouse nerves that were separated from the spinal cord. After separation, it would be expected that the nerves and muscles they control die. However, the Dalhousie group was the first in the world to find that the muscles not only were preserved by the transplantation, but they could produce about half their normal force to contract.

“This opens the door for a variety of different treatments,” says Dr. Rob Brownstone, professor of surgery and anatomy & neurobiology. “We’ve learned that muscles are preserved by stem cells; now we’re studying how this method can be applied to humans so that we can better treat people with nerve injuries and paralysis. Additionally, we’re looking at combining stem cell treatment with electrically-stimulated implants, which could stimulate nerves to produce movement.”

The study, which was also authored by graduate student Damien Yohn and former post-doctoral fellow Gareth Miles, was funded by New York-based Project A.L.S. It was published in today’s edition of Journal of Neuroscience.
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Re: Neurons Derived From Embryonic Stem Cells Restore Muscle Function After Inj

Post by swhite1 »

Thanks Christopher. As always you are right on top of things.
If I brought my own mouse do you think they'd allow me to be their Guinea Pig?
Trust me I'm willing to do anything for the cause and/or the cure.
Scott
Ed note: this particular test was done with mice.
Your second article deals with rats and severing spinal cords and etc.,
No thanks to volunteering for that work.

Message was edited by: swhite1
s8n

Post by s8n »

hahahaha!!!!! scott yet again i read your post and it cracks me up. man you havea sense of humor i just love. keep it real dude.
daniel
Drake's Mom

Post by Drake's Mom »

'motor nuerons' would that be the same as anterior horn cells? My son's injury they THINK wasn't to the peripheral nerves but to the anterior horn cells and they say there is nothing they can do to replace them. Just curious.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Yes, the anterior horn is where the motor neurons are. Posterior horn is for sensation. Both leave from the CNS.

Marieke 33, LOBPI
RN
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com