Check out the awareness board!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Check out the awareness board!

Post by hope16_05 »

Hey everyone, awareness week is quickly approaching this year. Its October 19-25. Check out the awareness board for some awesome ideas to spread awareness and stop this preventable injury! Also please feel free to share your awesome ideas, we would all love to know how you spread awareness!!!

Thanks,
Amy Theis
Awareness committee chair
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
PeggyF

Re: Check out the awareness board!

Post by PeggyF »

Everyone has been kind of quiet about Awareness Week (at least, as far as posting on the message boards). Does anyone have any plans???
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I wil be wearing al my UBPN Gear al wek long. I put my silver ribbon pin on my LOBPI arm sleeve and that always gets questions.

Hugs all around,
Carolyn J
LOBPI adult
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Good idea.

Also, I just got some glitter hair spray for Emma for Halloween and I think I'll spray Emma's BPI arm with it during Awareness Week ;)
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Awareness Week begins one week from today!
Katiekel

Post by Katiekel »

Carolyn, what is UBPN Gear? I just found this site today, and wasn't even aware that there was an awareness week for OBPI. I would like to get more involved, but have no idea where to start. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thank you!
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Katie,
Take a look on the Home Page http://ubpn.org/
when you scroll down, there is UBPN store, order form, on it it has pins and bracelets...
Many of us also own Camp Shirts from when we attended UBPN Camps (2005 Washington DC, 2007 Washington State). Next one is in 2010 place tba.

Also, take a look here: http://shop.cafepress.com/brachial-plexus

Marieke 32, LOBPI
RN

Message was edited by: marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Katiekel

Post by Katiekel »

Awesome! Thank you so much for the info Marieke.