One-Handed Typing Program

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
TNT1999

One-Handed Typing Program

Post by TNT1999 »

*Copied from the General Message Board*

I thought I'd post this here as well. Thanks in advance!

Hello to all the long-time friends I see are still here as well as all the newer names I don't recognize! I give some of you so much credit for your consistency with this. I can't say that I've held any kind of consistency in helping others with BPI questions. Sorry! Nicole's BPI has not been as predominant of an issue here. I've kept pretty busy homeschooling for the past 2 years. Nicole's entering 4th grade now and I'm ready to take a break and send her back to school for a year or two anyway. This year is my last year of "fun" with Joshua before he's ready for Kindergarten. Plus I'm way behind on major house repairs. Anyway, what brings me here today is computer concerns.

Nicole's typing is very slow, as I'm sure is the case for most kids this age anyway. I looked into a one-handed typing program I found a website for and thought it looked pretty good. I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with it. They also recommend using a smaller / child-sized keyboard. I think the concept of the program is great because it uses the QWERTY method so you can still do it on a regular keyboard. Basically it entails giving the non-dominant / injured hand limited keys to control while the non-injured hand does the majority of the typing. The smaller keyboard helps to prevent the dominant hand from having to reach as far. Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.aboutonehandtyping.com/

I'd love to get feedback from anyone who has experience with this program or with another program. Thanks. If this works out, I'm going to try to get the school to buy a smaller keyboard for Nicole to use at school and I'm also going to get them to okay her using this method. That's going to be part of my 504 Plan wish list. After H/S'g for 2 years, it's like starting all over with what to think of to ask the school for. They'd already dropped her from an IEP that included direct PT and OT services. She had very little services by the time we withdrew from school (basically periodic monitoring by the OT going into the classroom). I might wait until after the school year starts to even have my 504 meeting so I can better determine what we need. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. That's why I think I haven't been around the board -- I post too long of messages. ) Take care. Good to see you all again!

~Tina, mom to Nicole (9 y.o. w/LOBPI) and Joshua (4 y.o. -- c-section)