sunburn

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
my2girls

sunburn

Post by my2girls »

My daughter seems to always get sunburned on her BPI arm. Is this common?
melnruss

Re: sunburn

Post by melnruss »

My son's BPI arm ALWAYS burns. I always put stronger sunscreen on his injured arm and have to reapply to it much more often than the rest of his body. I guess it is a sensory thing.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I think it's sensory because I can't feel it when I get sunburned on my right arm. I'm very fair so get burned quite quickly. I could never figure out why my left forearm hurt so badly and my right did not. Then I found UBPN and began to compare notes with other adult obpi.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

It's fairly common. I even went so far as to have it listed in Amber's 504 plan that sunscreen is to be applied by either the teacher or nurse prior to going outside (even in overcast weather) if she is not wearing long sleeves. This year's teacher has been wonderful about it! I went into the classroom the other day and a substitute was there and Amber's sunblock was right by the door as a reminder to be put on as they were heading out to the playground.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 5 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old