Playing Football

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
marian

Playing Football

Post by marian »

im gonna be a senoir this year and am wondering if deciding to play football is to risky. if played all my life except this year due to my injery. im extreammly lucky that only my deltoid was affected, and have about half my strength back. it is stil unstable but with a brace it seems better. i can do all the motions its the tackling im worried about. does anybody know the chances of reinjering or disclocation is for somebody with an axilary nerve damage. also has anybody ever went back into a full on contact sport again with a condition like mine, luckly its not that bad.

thank you for your input
PRISCILLA
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Son, traumatic injured (TBPI) - November 2003. 3 surgeries to date.

Re: Playing Football

Post by PRISCILLA »

Wow, Big senior huh ? Hoping you have a good year ! James (RTBPI) will be a junior.
Football, hummm... sticky topic here. It has been discused here in the past. Some will say go for it and others are pretty much against it all the way. Im pretty much against it, not that James had a choice anyway, his arm was totally paralyzed. I would have to say the risk of re-injuring is great. Weve recently been talking to a guy, that is local to us, he just graduated, and last fall he was injured in a game. Hes had surgery and pretty much playing the waiting game now. I would say talk to your dr about it.
herff94

Re: Playing Football

Post by herff94 »

Hey Peter!!!!
I have been wondering how you are!!!!
I think you're risky it! Jim, my husband, played his senior yr at Marian and dislocated his should. Coach Penza taped it to Jim's body and he kept playing; it was the year they won State (1986). But then he didn't wrestle so he could recover to pitch that baseball season. Jim has a ton of shoulder problems now.
I can completely relate to you, Peter, wanting to play. I live with a captain of the state champs from Marian and Jim has coached f-ball for 14 years now!!! I know you can't imagine not playing and the way Jim was at 17 he thought he'd be ok and went on playing not realizing the damage he was doing to himself that would develop later.
What does your parents say????
Keep me posted~
Kath Herff