Selective service?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Luc

Selective service?

Post by Luc »

HI guys, my name is Luke and I am a LOBPI. I was not diagnosed until Oct. '05, and I was 24 at the time. I posted here for about the whole month of that October.Then I decided I was better off to try and forget about it just live with it. I now believe that it is not possible to 100 % "forget" about it on this side of heaven. I have been thinking about this site, and have decided to come back, aleast for a few weeks. I forgot how informative and inspiring UBPN is.

Back to my original question- I always knew I was different, but I was never diagnosed. I registered with the Selective Service when I was 18. Is it possible to get exemption status? Any men out there have any info on that? I am not a coward ( atleast I don't think so!) nor a traitor to my country, but I do want atleast bit of validation

GB
Lucas
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Selective service?

Post by marieke »

Hi Luc,
Welcome back.
Not sure about your question, but don't you have to be %100 "healthy".. I mean, with no physical limitations in order to serve in the army?
Again, not sure, but that is what I would think...
Marieke, 32, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Luc

Post by Luc »

Hi marieke, it is good to be back.
Yeah, I would think it would be very easy to be service exempt, That is how I feel anyway. That is also the opinion of most of my friends and coworkers. I am going to the government building sometime this month to find out.

Lucas
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Hey, Luc? According to the selective service you can only - under current circumstances, I believe this could be expanded if necessary- be drafted if you are between the ages of 18 and 25, so you've already aged out of the system. http://www.sss.gov/

It's ok, I'm 26 too; I'm sure Kath will tell you that we aren't old if you need some extra reassurance.

As to the principle, whether a BPI would get you an exemption, I would hope so. I know this doesn't answer that question, it just struck me that at this point, you don't have to worry.

Carrie
26 ROBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Hey guys we don't have a draft anymore.
We have an all volunteer Armed Services...
Don't worry about being exempt because you can't be drafted.
Carrie your right you guys have no problem.
My husband had to serve right out of college.

When I was young it was mandatory for all males to serve in the Armed Forces.
But that was a very long time ago and draft has not been a problem for a long time.
In the good old days of draft some men were exempt for poor eyesight. I think bpi would be a big reason for exemption.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Oh I forgot something.
ONLY MEN were drafted into service never women.
That never bothered me because I did'nt have equal pay or rights then... LOL... LOL...

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Luc

Post by Luc »

Thank you Carrie for the link.
As the law is written right now, I am to old by a year. Oddly enough, I turn 26 today!
But if there was a war, a critical war with a power like China,( as horrible as that would be) I have no doubt Congress will draft men until 32; I think that is the current age limit to sign up for Army boot camp.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Happy birthday Lucas!!! Hope its a great day for you knowing that you have "aged" out of the system for being drafted.

Sorry i dont have any advice for your questions. I just wanted to welcome you back and wish you a very happy birthday!
Hugs,
Amy 21 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Lucas!...and welcome back. Please stay around, Okay? I learn alot from you Young'uns.

Don't feel bad, I never was diagnosed either until age 67 and didn't have a name for our injuries until I found UBPN at 65.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/69 & couinting...;)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

When I was 18, I tried to get into the airforce. ( I'm 54 now) I did just fine until they told me to put both arms over my head in the physical. I tried to fight it and got a very nice letter that stated I didn't meet the minimum physical requirements. So I am sure they would not take you. You have to be able to do all those pushups,put both arms behind your back etc. It isn't cowardly, you just don't have the mobility to meet the minimum requirements
Pat