My struggles with TBPI!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
srhykerd

Re: My struggles with TBPI!

Post by srhykerd »

Chelc,
You sound very lucky to have regained a lot of your arm function. My daughter had a motorcycle accident when she was 20 years old - an innocent ride home from work from a coworker - he never made it home, she spent almost 6 weeks in the hospital. She had all 5 nerves avulsed on the right - her dominant arm/hand. She has had numerous surgeries and like you she is concerned that people see her for who she is and not be "sickened" by her "dead arm." She mainly had all the surgeries so her injuries would be less noticable. She has regained some movement but not enough for her. She is dealing with it very well, I must admit, better than I would. You are very fortunate to have an understanding husband. Melanie, my daughter, is 22 now and she worries about finding a mate that will accept her for who she is. I hope your pain is not too severe for you and that you continue to regain use of your hand. Sue
Chelc

Re: My struggles with TBPI!

Post by Chelc »

I think the hardest part of all of this is the mental side. You become mentally worn down by stress, pain, and all the limitations. I just asked my husband the other day if he though my arm was disgusting. He replied that he honestly didn't think about that much. He is aware, but it dosn't bother him. I'm sure she will find that person who is able to see her and not her shortcomings. I wish her the best of luck! It is hard to swallow for me at 22 that the rest of my life may be spent this way. If she ever needed someone to talk to she can email me at chelclyn@live.com.