What child can wear over / under splint / cast??

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
angelsmom

What child can wear over / under splint / cast??

Post by angelsmom »

Hi, angelina (age 5 ) gets her pink cast off on oct. 28th. She will be getting a splint/ cast? kinda thing to wear.. what clothes should we bring for our week of therapy in Philly? Dose it have to be something to go over it or can we dress her then put it on?? thanks for any help.
melanie mom to angelina age 5 ROBPI

writing from the libray our computer is in the shop, so It will take a few days for me to write anyone back.
Mare

Re: What child can wear over / under splint / cast??

Post by Mare »

Will you be able to take the splint off and move the arm around to dress her without causing her pain? If not you may want to buy some T-shirts that are a little big and take the stitching out of the arm sleeve then just drape it over the splint and pin it with saftey pins thats what I did when frankie had the mod quad splints. Hope this helps. Mare
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

I would bring some tanks that actually fit her incase you get to dress her first then splint/cast. Then something to wear over. Thats what I did for a while after my last surgery.

So some lighter cloathes that fit and some that she had that fit over her cast.

Good luck and maybe give her some tylenol before the cast is removed might help when its being removed and definitely after!

Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
LoriV

Post by LoriV »

We had the same surgery with Dr. Kozin. The splint she will get is to be worn under clothes. It's a little less bulky than the cast, but we found it easiest to just wear the same shirts he had been wearing with the cast. By the end of the week, she will probably only wear the splint while sleeping, so you don't have to worry about it for very long.

Good luck to you - I hope you see amazing things when the cast comes off. Our son was able to throw a ball with his injured arm for the first time ever after that surgery. It was an awesome sight!
lmungin
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is LaTeesha, our son suffered a LOBPI in January, 2002. He has received two surgeries, botox, ongoing therapy, and recently recommended for a third surgery.

Post by lmungin »

Good evening,
D.J. had surgery a few months ago and I have some sweatshirts that were only worn once,maybe twice,that were sewn to fit around the cast and later the brace. If you're interested, please let me know. In the meantime, please know that we were faced with this dilemma and didn't want to cut all of his clothes to accommodate the cast and/or brace. Therefore, we bought t-shirts and sweatshirts, cut them, and sewed them....I'd be happy to send a few to you if you'd like..
felicia

Post by felicia »

Olivia just had her surgery on Tuesday. She is obviously in the cast, not the splint yet, but I think the clothes will work for the splint as well. We bought shirts that were several sizes too big (she usually wears a 2T and I got size 6/8). We cut the sleeve off, cut the seam of the shirt down the side, and then put in a fabric velcro which was ironed on..no sewing, which was perfect for me! When what I understood, I thought the brace could be worn under her clothes. Also, overall seem to work well. Again, I just got bigger sizes so they could fit around her chest and then cut the bottom. Good luck!
Felicia