Elbow Contractures?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Brenda333
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter has global palsy (c5-T1 injury) 5 surgeries at Texas Children's by Dr
Laurent, Shenaq, and Nath. 1st Surel graft 2nd Intercostal transfer 3rd Latisimus Dorsi transfer with subscapular release 4th Pec release 5th Bicep lenghtening, (which weakened her bicep, and contracture returned.) Has went through serial casting with fair results. Her arm is about a hand shorter then the other. She has limited hand function. (able to grasp) Arm stays pronated. Unable to get to neutral. Now dealing with sternoclavicular subluxation. All that being said....She is very functional. She is a very determined, strong, tenacious young woman. Now 15. She plays the trumpet, french horn, drums, guitar, and now learning piano. Has always played on a softball, and basketball team. Until recently, for fear of further injury due to the sternoclavicular subluxation. (separation of colarbone from sternum) Not sure if all this is spelled right.
--

Elbow Contractures?

Post by Brenda333 »

Has anyone used Joint Active Systems (JAS) Static Progressive Stretch devices
for Elbow contractures???
Brenda
BPI Connection
http://www.freewebs.com/wbpic
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Elbow Contractures?

Post by hope16_05 »

Do you have a website?

Theb est thing I have used for my elbow contracture thus far is a thermoplastic splint with a neoprene sheet strap. The splint is progressively changed to keep max stretch.
I have gotten down to about 5 degrees so I am still working on my last 5 but I think I need to gain some triceps strength.

Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Here Amy,
http://www.directdme.com/pposcripts/DME ... ctid=16583

I've seen this type used for the knee, not elbow, but it seemed to work well...

Marieke (32, LOBPI)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

I've seen it - it's really heavy and the child has to have it on for certain periods during the day (rather than at night). I thought it looked like a torture contraption (sorry). Since Maia already tried the dynasplint and the ultraflex, I opted this time for serial casting and that worked really fast- two weeks to plow through 30 degrees (which was actually really too fast and it caused her pain...so I wouldn't recommend going that fast). And it's held really well so far - we do nighttime splinting in a belly buster splint.

I would do serial casting again in a heart beat. And the belly buster splint allows for stretching beyond the last 10 degrees which no other splint I know of could have achieved this for Maia.
melinda

Post by melinda »

My daughter is 13year old LOBPI she has a elbow contracture and now its starting to be extremely noticeable. I was not aware of any treatmet for it. She has not been in therapy of any treament since she was like 6 yrs old. Once we decided that we didn't want surgery her doctors basically said we just need to come in for check up every couple of years. So I would be interested in what out there for possible treatment of contractures.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Melinda I would contact her doctor and get a script for OT then call around until you find a good OT and she has several options if she wants to go through with them.

For me to keep my elbow contracture away I sleep with an elbow extension splint about 6 nights a week and I have done this for three years. To keep my contracture away I either need to gain significant strength in my triceps of wear the splint the rest of my life. Although it probably wont have to be as often eventually.

On a good note, I actually sleep much better with my splint on than off. So I really dont mind wearing mine and the only reason that I usually take a night off is if I am too tired to put it on before bed.

I have a picture if you would like to see what mine looks like.
Hugs,
Brenda333
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter has global palsy (c5-T1 injury) 5 surgeries at Texas Children's by Dr
Laurent, Shenaq, and Nath. 1st Surel graft 2nd Intercostal transfer 3rd Latisimus Dorsi transfer with subscapular release 4th Pec release 5th Bicep lenghtening, (which weakened her bicep, and contracture returned.) Has went through serial casting with fair results. Her arm is about a hand shorter then the other. She has limited hand function. (able to grasp) Arm stays pronated. Unable to get to neutral. Now dealing with sternoclavicular subluxation. All that being said....She is very functional. She is a very determined, strong, tenacious young woman. Now 15. She plays the trumpet, french horn, drums, guitar, and now learning piano. Has always played on a softball, and basketball team. Until recently, for fear of further injury due to the sternoclavicular subluxation. (separation of colarbone from sternum) Not sure if all this is spelled right.
--

Post by Brenda333 »

My daughter has had bicep lengthening. Successful for a period of time, but made her arm weaker.

Seriel casting. Successful to a certain degree, but contracture returned.

She also has a pronation contracture that limits her to a certain degree. Anyway, was just wondering if this the JAS worked.
Brenda
BPI Connection
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Brenda,

Maia also had the BTL and the contracture returned. I honestly just think that until our kids stop growing, we'll have to deal with this contracture.

Maia splints at night but during the day anything she does make it tighten back up and every night we have to go through the same procedure of heating, stretching and splinting.

We didn't splint over a portion of the summer because her splint got too tight and her therapist was on maternity leave. And when she went back for checkup she had only lost 15 degrees. So we got the splint stretched out and we're back now. But honestly, it doesn't change - she goes through her day and at night she is tight.

The cause is what's so hard to identify. Where is it coming from? The BTL, serial casting, static or dynamic splinting - none of these addressed the cause [for Maia].
hope16_05

Post by hope16_05 »

Just wantd to comment that stopping growing has not stopped the elbow contracture. If I leave my splint off for any length of time it comes back.

Brenda where did you find out about the JAS?

btw I just looked at the site Marieke posted and I dont think I would use that, it looks evil. But if you do end up using it would you let me know how it works? The site Marieke posted has a renting option, might be worth looking into?

Message was edited by: hope16_05
Brenda333
--

Post by Brenda333 »

I just was googling elbow contractures. Just to see what would come up. This is so frustrating for Michaela. She went through seril casting summer before last. She doesn't want to go through that again. What do you do though???
Brenda
BPI Connection