Small Obstacles

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
MaureenK

Small Obstacles

Post by MaureenK »

What are some of the things that irritate you, that you wish weren't an issue?

I hate when I'm in a group photo, where we are supposed to put our arms on the shoulders of the people on either side of us. For one, I'm almost 6' tall, so it's awkward anyway... I usually just put my right arm behind the other person's back. It doesn't look like everyone else, but that's okay.

I hate styling my hair.

Door knobs are an issue if my left hand is full.

I'm tall, so everyone asks me to reach things on high shelves for them. If it's something light, no problem. Also, I can't change light bulbs worth a damn.

What have you guys done to overcome some of these things?

And I'm excited to hear about camp!!!
Joanie

Re: Small Obstacles

Post by Joanie »

Hi Maureen,

In group photos, I do the same thing you do. I'm 5' tall, so usually I can't reach the other person's shoulder.

Even though I have always loved long hair, I can't take care of it. I keep my hair short, so styling it is quick and easy.

Door knobs are an issue for me if my right hand is full, which is why I load up my left hand and arm first, even though I know that I can't carry as much with my left arm as with my right. I try to always leave my right hand free.

I'm short, so I'm one of those people who asks for help reaching things on high shelves.

I can't change a lightbulb in a ceiling fixture either. Only one hand can reach up over my head. It takes one hand to reach up and loosen the screws, and another hand to reach up and catch the cover of the fixture before it falls because the screws have been loosened. So, I'm out of luck there. Thank G-d for my husband.

Joanie, 58 years, LOBPI
Elissa :)

Post by Elissa :) »

Usually with a group photo, I'll but my left arm behind someone so that you can't see it. All of the light fixtures in my house are missing the domes covering the bulbs! I hate trying to curl the back of my hair with a curling iron. I hold the mirror in my left hand and with the right try to "guide" it under a piece of hair. Forget roller setting the thing! What about storing something overhead on a plane? LOL!
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

No one asks me to reach things because I am only 5'3" so they don't even bother.
I usually stand on a stool or a chair to reach with my left hand.
Door knobs don't bother me because I tuck everything under my right arm and stuff as much as I can in my right arm.

Light bulbs... never even tried... even on a chair I am too short.

As for overhead luggage... the secret is to travel with an OBPI.
Of course if you are robpi then you can only travel with a lobpi.
Nancy and I attended the Naraka Symposium in Brecia Italy and learned that it takes two OBPI's to put one suitcase into the overhead on planes... LOL...

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Elissa:)
I always put my LOBPI arm behind me or the person next to me in pictures too. I use a "reacher"/"Grabber" and since finding UBPN have started asking for help whenever I am away from home. It sure saves my "good limbs".

I have also found a great "How To" Book:
"One-Handed Living in a Two Handed World" by
Tommye-Karen Mayer

I wish I'd found is or had it available earlier in my "BPI Journey" I might not have goten soofrustrated and my stres level would have ben much less.
Carolyn J

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
MaureenK

Post by MaureenK »

I wish I had taught myself how to do some more things left-handed, rather than struggling to do them right handed. I can use a mouse right handed, but I kind of suck at it, and maybe it would have been easier for me to have learned it left handed. I never used left handed scissors. The few ones that the schools provided didn't work, so I have always done it right-handed... but very poorly.
Yesterday, I was watching cops, and I realized, if I was ever in a situation where I was told to put my hands in the air, I couldn't do it. I guess it's a good thing I'm a law abiding citizen.
Sometimes I wish I could do the YMCA, or the macarena, or any of the other dozens of dances they do at weddings. Or put both hands in the air on a roller coaster. Or put on my coat without looking like an idiot...
Mare

Post by Mare »

I asked Frankie he wishes he could cut his own steak when we go out to eat and I haven't been able to find a rocker knife sharpe enough Mare
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Gosh Mare, I only eat steak at home. I always order something I can cut with the side of a fork.

Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
smith727

Post by smith727 »

I really, really, really, really hate to shake hands... I mean I really hate it.
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

Changing a lightbulb, shaking hands, Putting a suitcase in an overhead bin on an airplane--I have to use my head to boost it up there--zippers and buttons due to the arthritis---pants that zip on the side or back--high cupboards, I have had large bowls fall on me trying to lift one handed, gas caps on cars--again due to the arthritis, skinny handled knives, jumping jacks,peeling potatoes, volleyball
Is that enough?????
Pat