OT or PT or both???

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
chriscnaz

OT or PT or both???

Post by chriscnaz »

I was hoping to hear from others whether OT, PT or both were most helpful for them.

My husband fell from a cell tower on March 24 07, most of his other injuries ( broken femur, T11 & T12 fractures, multiple rib fractures) are well on their way to recovery after femur surgery, TLSO bracing etc, but as usual the TBPI isn't showing the same type of improvement.

He does have fair ROM in his right arm, and very limited wrist, thumb and finger ROM with no strength in these areas yet. MRIs have shown no avulsions, EMGs showed MINOR changes to ular/wrist, CT myelogram scheduled in a few weeks.

So far he has been doing primarily OT for the arm/hand, which is focused on maintaining ROM. The new orders state both OT and PT for TBPI. Not sure what the PT component would entail or benefit would be.

Nuerologist stated the rationale for the continued OT was not that we would see huge improvements but that not continueing may result in regression.
Shorts

Re: OT or PT or both???

Post by Shorts »

Reason for PT is all around health. Regarding the body's movements, the acts of organized exercises trigger nerve impulses to fire down the line in the injured arm because of the movement. The body was not built to be one-sided, the body was built as a mirror image. It must balance itself and it involuntarily balances itself so exercises helps returm the body to "normal". I did both PT and OT. The rest of my body (and anyone for that matter) still needed to be worked out out regardless of my arm not being to do all the exercises. A body's cardiovascular and musculoskeletal system must be healthy and strong regardless, especially to compensate for being one-less appendage. In PT, like any normal workout program you should be doing some cardio and some strength exercises. There should also be some specific exercises for the arm, for example the hand bicycle to encourage synchro of the arm's movement with nerve impulses as you watch your arm work. The brain will automatically fire nerve impulses down the line in regardsto the movement your eyes see happening. It helps "bridge the gap" between the brain and the arm.

Aside from any nerve benefits, don't forget that people also should exercise everyday rather than be lazy and unhealthy. Any (aerobic) activity for 30minutes a day is the recommended minimum.

The stronger the body is as a whole, the greater chance there is of recovery as well as the ability to handle obstacles both physically and mentally.
chriscnaz

Re: OT or PT or both???

Post by chriscnaz »

Thanks for the info.

He is currently doing PT for femur and T-spine fractures as well, to include daily excercises at home.

The orders were just written differently this time so I wasn't sure if was a change or what that change would be.

Message was edited by: chriscnaz